Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 12:18 PM

Default inlay graphic opinions

Hi all,
Hoping to get a few opinions/ suggestions on my chip artwork. For a pokerchip.com order

Really curious about the yingyang graphic. Is the ambigram of my initials readable? (Reads the same even when turned over) The inlays are a bit different than most that I've seen, so I'd also like to know what your impressions of 'em are overall before they go to print. Any and all comments/ suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Colors:
400x White/ Lavender
200x Red/ Lavender
200x Green/ Lavender
100x Black/ Lavender
100x Lavender/ DG pink

Thanks in advance,
faith

Old 02-07-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: inlay graphic opinions

[ QUOTE ]
Is the ambigram of my initials readable?

[/ QUOTE ]
I had a hard time seeing it... cool idea but I think it needs some work.

I like the wrap but the color scheme isn't my taste. Don't know if it's too much work but it might look nice if the wrap matched the chip color as well as having the yin/yang matching also... or you could match the yin/yang to the edge spot. More work but might it'd be worth it. You might mock some up just to see. I don't know what the min order is for diff labels but you might be ok with 100. Also I don't know if their art dept. can match chip/edge colors... anyone know? so maybe it's an option & maybe not?

What's the significance of the angel?

- Fins
Old 02-07-2005, 01:59 PM

Other than the angel, it's all vector art I put together in illustrator so tweaking colors 'n such is a snap. I'll put together some mock-ups tomorrow after work. Pokerchips.com sent me all the CMYK values for their chip colors. The lavender that fades on the wrap starts as the "same" color as all the lavender edgespots.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Been livin' in bangkok for about 3 yrs now... "city of angels" / used to DJ under the name Faith in dance clubs around asia... on a promo flyer a guy used an angel pic instead of a photograph, and angels started popping up in the decorations anywhere I was billed to play... religious aspects... and I guess I just like pictures of beautiful women with wings.

I'll piddle around with the initials. I've been toying around with 'em too much and can't see 'em objectively anymore. Needed another set of eyes, thanks.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:03 PM

I like the color scheme and graphics, but personally, no, I couldn't read the AML on the yingyang side until I found in your message what it was supposed to be.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pokerchips.com sent me all the CMYK values for their chip colors. The lavender that fades on the wrap starts as the "same" color as all the lavender edgespots.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's great... would you mind posting the CMYK color values for their colors.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Been livin' in bangkok for about 3 yrs now... "city of angels" / used to DJ under the name Faith in dance clubs around asia... on a promo flyer a guy used an angel pic instead of a photograph, and angels started popping up in the decorations anywhere I was billed to play... religious aspects... and I guess I just like pictures of beautiful women with wings.

I'll piddle around with the initials. I've been toying around with 'em too much and can't see 'em objectively anymore. Needed another set of eyes, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's cool. I think it's this kind of personalization that makes customs worthwhile... really adds to the graphic and makes the art more appealing knowing the background. I'm not that artistic as it is so ambigrams are out of my league. There's a guy on 21ace who dabbles in ambigrams... worked on this one as a design for that forum:

Here's the thread

Look forward to some mock-ups.

- Fins
Old 02-07-2005, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi all,
Hoping to get a few opinions/ suggestions on my chip artwork. For a pokerchip.com order

Really curious about the yingyang graphic. Is the ambigram of my initials readable? (Reads the same even when turned over) The inlays are a bit different than most that I've seen, so I'd also like to know what your impressions of 'em are overall before they go to print. Any and all comments/ suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Colors:
400x White/ Lavender
200x Red/ Lavender
200x Green/ Lavender
100x Black/ Lavender
100x Lavender/ DG pink

Thanks in advance,
faith

[/ QUOTE ]

I commend you on the design, it all looks great. Very impressive. To answer your question: I tried to figure out what the 3 letters were, and all I could guess was HOH.

Ten
Old 02-08-2005, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
would you mind posting the CMYK color values for their colors.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is from the email lana sent to me from pokerchips.com when I asked for CMYK values for the ASM chip colors.
She said of course they won't match the clay colors perfectly, but are very close when printed and are what they use when trying to match.

red - pantone 200
man red - pantone 186
pink - pantone 212
dg pink - high chroma 7.5 EP 6:16 OR C-1.18 M-72.94 Y-5.5 K-0
blue - pantone 288
imp blue - pantone 314
purple - pantone 259
lavender - pantone 258
green - pantone 356
light green - 80% of pantone 347
dg green - pantone 360
yellow - pantone 110
peach - pantone 1585
arc yellow - pantone 1365
dg yellow - pantone 100
chocolate - pantone 499
white - C-0 M-6 Y-6 K-15
grey - 35% black
orange - pantone 159
dg orange - pantone 166

If someone needs these changed to rgb or CMYK just lemme know. If you're using adobe products, just open the Pantone swatch window and you can choose the swatch directly as listed above.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:23 AM

[croc dundee voice]
That's not an ambigram. This is an ambigram.
[/croc dundee voice]

-Sam
Old 02-08-2005, 07:51 AM

a few tweaks I threw together... coloring the yy

tried just coloring the yy, while leaving the initials untouched, but the bw/ over the color was too extreme

here are a couple random mock-ups I put together when thinking about having different graphics on the backs of all the chips.

thought of using the inverted angel on the black and lavender chip instead of the white one...

still thinking of using the earth/moon graphic on the lavender chip, with the other colors having my standard graphics.

I think the initials are a bit easier to read when not split in half by a color change, but having two in the graphic might make it even harder to read with the size difference (on the bottom two yy pics)

still a work in progress, but the light at the end of the ttunnel is on
Old 02-08-2005, 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[croc dundee voice]
That's not an ambigram. This is an ambigram.
[/croc dundee voice]

-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice job on those. I especially like the "gre"/ "erg" solution in Greenberg... clean and easy to read at a glance. Any ideas on how to clean up "AML" First name's Aaron which is easy to write up, but don't want to go that route...

Have difficulties with the centered "M" in all my ambigrams. The loop it makes causes an "O" jump out at people- even in drawings without the details put in.

Thought of using more "blocked" calligraphic writing ala Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons" ambigrams, but as easy as those are to make, they're always hard for me to read.