Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2005, 01:02 PM

Default 400-800 hand 6 handed

Game is tight aggressive not a lot of weak spots at this point, I'm basicially playing hoping someone fishy will come in or a good player will start the tilt dance.

David Oppenhiemer (WCP IMO)OR two off button I call in BB with 78o. ?

I check dark, call 59J flop after he bets.

turn is a 9 I check turn he bets I raise he threebets I call.

River is a 3 he bets I muck he shows quad 9s, and I feel like a donk, but what can u do sometimes to bluff them off then draw against quads. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Best of Luck,

Shawn Keller
Old 02-06-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Re: 400-800 hand 6 handed

Your first sentence and your last sentence make me laugh.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:21 PM

Preflop is fine. I'd play the flop faster. Turn checkraises after going check-call on the flop rarely work. It's a good flop that really disguises your hand, he's far more likely to let an ace or unpaired cards go if you play the flop fast exactly as you would if you had flopped a pair instead of the (IMO) transparent "blow them off a hand" turn checkraise. People rarely fold to that, especially WCP who decide they don't want a free card.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:24 PM

Hi Shawn,

If Oppenheimer is really a WCP then maybe a fold is in order preflop. 87o seems like hand with which you need to have a post-flop playing advantage to make profitable here.

I'm not sure the 9 is a great card for you to semi-bluff on, since Oppenheimer will wonder why you didn't CR this flop with second pair. Checking and calling again sounds pretty boring, but might be best here.

I really like the dark check on the flop in situations like this where your opponent will almost always bet.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:24 PM

I like flop checkraise too, but turn checkraise I thought was more threatening against the poker beast that is david O.
Also just check calling flop gives you chance to pick up a freeturn, or u can always chicken out on the checkraise if a bad card for it comes ( like a 7 or 8 hehe)
Old 02-06-2005, 01:47 PM

The turn checkraise may be more threatening, but is it believable? Unless you have a set, it's going to be tough for him to put you on a hand that worries him since I assume you'd normally checkraise any pair on the flop. I'm sure you mix it up sometimes and you wouldn't make this play unless you also do it with the goods from time to time, but I just think that most good players are going to call bullsh!t on you here and call you down, even when they don't have quads.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:28 PM

IMO check-raising the flop is superior to check-raising the turn.

Since you will be defending your blind with a wide range of holdings, a flop with all medium cards could very well have hit you. It's hard for hands like A high to call all the way here.

It's a bit style dependend though. For instance, this is typically a flop where I would frequently fastplay my big hands as well, since it's easy for my opponent to put me on a medium pair and the flop is a bit coordinated. So, this would lessen the effectivity of a turn check-raise if I was the BB. So, how do you frequently play your big made hands in these situations?

Another point to consider is the fact that if he has a big made hand you're going to pay more to draw (as you experienced).

So basically, I think a flop check-raise (if it fits in your overall gameplan) will give you about the same probability to pick up the pot unimproved, but will often cost you less.

Regards
Old 02-06-2005, 05:57 PM

i could easily have a set or a jack, that said I more or less agree with all thats been said thus far in this thread that checkraising flop is the best play, and I would do that most of the time, with the preflop calling being very marginal.

Good jobs dissecting the hand guys, see i don't just post the ones i win [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Best of Lucktech,

Shawn Keller
Old 02-06-2005, 06:26 PM

Why call a great player with 87o? its not even a steal raise.

A turn raise here is silly. Anything you may have hit with on the flop needs protection against overcards.

He isnt going to put you on a set because most times you'd 3bet preflop with a PP.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:04 AM

deleted, read post wrong