Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2005, 04:14 PM

Default 1/2 NL Hand

1/2 NL hand at a local card club, buy in is 100 minimum, 300 maximum. Table is on the looser side as preflop raises of 7-8x the big blind are not moving the limpers anywhere...it is something else to see someone limp for 2 dollars and then call a 20 dollar raise.
My opponent is very loose and aggressive I cannot tell if he is a smart or dumb LAG but he definitely is quite a LAG and has been showing pure bluffs.

No-Limit Hold'em, 2$ BB (10 handed)

MP1 ($200.00)
MP2 ($200.00)
MP3 ($190.00)
CO ($200.00)
Button ($180.00)
SB ($600.00)
BB ($200.00)
Hero ($475.00)
UTG+1 ($210.00)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
Hero raises to $25 Dollars. MP3 calls, SB calls.

Flop: ($76.00) A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)
SB checks. Hero bets $50. MP3 drops out and SB calls.

Turn: ($176.00) 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 Players)
SB bets $125.00. I sit and contemplate, I know he does not have the straight from recalling his previous plays and he does not play inside straights from what I have seen. I have ~375.00 left in my stack so I Push the turn here. I say raise all in for 200 more dollars, he quickly calls.

I say to him you don't have the straight, he turns over 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and says no I have a seven and club draw.

River: ($950) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] He makes the club flush on the river and takes it down.

He then proceeds to tell me that the reason why he won was because he had a seven and that being that on the turn he bet 125.00 there he alleviates the pressure on himself which I guess I understand but what pressure is it being that I practically put the rest of his stack in play when he is a fairly big dog.

Thoughts?

I know I hate to say this but supposedly this guy is like the best guy in this club and I am now so heartbroken I don't even want to play anymore. After I saw this garbage by the "best player in the house" I don't even know anymore.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Re: 1/2 NL Hand

You played fine, normal bad beat, hopefully you have a big enough bankroll to feel comfortable reloading a few times.

His very "fish-like" comments about the 7's are complete rubbish. Be glad you're playing with an opponent poor enough that you manage to get your money in when you had the best of it.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:24 PM

he is really really bad. Don't believe the hype

you played well.

preflop raise a bit big though don't you think?

I guess if jokers willing to call with 7 4, then it works.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:29 PM

PF raise is a bit hefty.

Everything else is perfect. Fish calls with a flush draw and bottom pair...terrid.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:51 PM

I do agree that raising 12.5x the big blind was hefty. But there were a few times I would have about 6 limpers in front of me and for example I'd be on the button with JJ or TT and raise to 20 and get 4/5 callers. So I raised to 25 UTG to try to get a pot heads up. I don't know what it is but when I go to live games at these stakes so many people see opportunities with trash hands and some with some decent stack cracking hands such as a 76s and such but they will call from anywhere so this is why I raise so much that's all. If it were a better table I would have probably only raised 5x the big blind but clearly that wasn't at the time protecting any hand or cutting down any field to the flop.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:35 PM

If you're gonna routinely get two callers with that size raise, that is great. Good raise. But with such a loose table, by the same principle, I think you have to bet the pot on the flop. They will call you with anything apparently, so charge them as much as they will call. You really played it fine, though. This guy's play and comments are obviously ridiculous. If his statements were true then it would be the correct play to just go all-in with his hand there since that really 'alleviates the pressure'. What a moron. Rebuy to $300 and bust him.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:17 PM

Preflop: Well done. If they're going to call, you might as well bet a lot with the best hand.

Flop: You have to bet more with two other people in the pot. Heads up I could *maybe* see feigning weakness but you should really protect yourself and charge possible flush (or straight) draws. If they fold, fine. You're still picking up a nice pot.

Turn: Yes, definitely go all in.

Ryan
Old 02-06-2005, 11:42 PM

I see your point Ryan for the perhaps what may be weak play on the flop. I don't really see a point in overbetting here. He is getting trash odds on his dollar because if he calls the 50 he is getting 1:2.5 on his money with little to no implied odds as if I there had turned another club I would have dropped back and punted and gave up the pot. His odds to make were 1:4 so he really is making a fundamental mistake right there. If I bet 100 I am now overbetting the pot which there is not all that much wrong with but I am giving myself crappy dollar to dollar value as I am committing 100 dollars for 75 dollars. I have never seen someone buy a $1 dollar lottery ticket to win $.75 I dunno thats just me and I understand that perhaps it may have been better to overbet the pot but this is my style of play but Ryan I will take that into consideration next time. In all honesty it's very hard to put him on a 74 of [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] because a player out of position calling that much is very hard to run through your slew of hands he may have.
The roughest part is I made a shitty mistake and played in a game a little too high for my bankroll as it is beatable and I keep my bankroll and money from work and savings all mixed together so perhaps that is why I find this so frustrating in that I cannot even tell what it is crushing. My roll or my savings.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're gonna routinely get two callers with that size raise, that is great. Good raise. But with such a loose table, by the same principle, I think you have to bet the pot on the flop. They will call you with anything apparently, so charge them as much as they will call. You really played it fine, though. This guy's play and comments are obviously ridiculous. If his statements were true then it would be the correct play to just go all-in with his hand there since that really 'alleviates the pressure'. What a moron. Rebuy to $300 and bust him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to say I greatly appreciate your comments and encouragement. I am sure you have seen my posts and know I am very new to all of this as this was my first time in a private club. I have learned to stomache losses very well as I do understand the law of large numbers and those who chase will be paid sometimes but those who charge them will be paid more of the time and the sort of unspoken rule of the statistical law of large numbers that the better players will get their best profit from their better opportunities/cards just as they will minimize their losses with their losing opportunities/cards.
Situations such as these I can stomache as I have learned to stomache losses and the swings like a champ haha. The worst part of it and I don't mean to rant is this feels like when I would get back to the dorm room in freshman year after a night of heavy drugs back when I used to party and when I got home after this happening I felt the complete low where you just can't even describe how low you feel is just as I feel in this situation, it is completely disheartening and just so depressing to watch this [censored] happen.
His lil fish jive after the hand as I had wished he would have told me something that was of some value to my game to explain why he won (No I was not expecting this) was just the salt in the wound man because it just made me realize how much of a chump this guy was.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:32 AM

Dude. I 100% understand and sypathize. I, too, and relatively new to poker (I've been playing poker for about 8 months, NL for about 4) and I also have felt like complete crap after getting owned by a complete monkey. In fact, I'm in a bit of a downswing now and even let slip a parenthetical bad beat addition to a post on here (for which I am ashamed). But you clearly know what you are doing and you (and I) should take this as a learning opportunity I guess. Both that sometimes bad plays get rewarded (which we already knew) and also that it is important to play with money we can afford to lose. I feel like my game is at the point where I can definitely beat higher games than the ones I play in, but my poker roll cannot take that high a game at this point. I have the money, but have decided that I don't want to sink savings into poker roll, but rather build it up. Thanks for your post. I definitely have gotten a lot out of it and I'm sure other people have, too.