Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Full Tilt MTT Frusteration Hand (long-ish)

This was about an hour into a Full Tilt $5 MTT and already most of the entries were gone.
I had picked up a tell on villian where when he's trying to steal the pot he waits a long time before doing anything, and he bets quickly when he has it. There had just been a hand where I had reraised his pot steal attempt and he folded, so this example could be his unwillingness to let me "resteal" (even though I had the cards).

Before the hand I had roughly 20k and villian had around 8k. Villian was a tight-ish, but he enjoyed his trick of missing the flop completely and then stealing it, apparently once he called the blind he felt he was pot committed and could not fold. I was just waiting for the opportunity to burn him.

Dealer: Hand #54790742
Dealer: Villian posts the small blind of 80
Dealer: BB posts the big blind of 160
Dealer: You have been dealt [8c 9d]
Dealer: UTG folds
Dealer: UTG+1 folds
Dealer: Hero calls 160
Dealer: MP2 folds
Dealer: MP3 raises to 320
Dealer: CO 4me folds
Dealer: Button folds
Dealer: Villian calls 240
Dealer: BB folds
Dealer: Hero calls 160
Dealer: The flop is [8h 3c 7s]
Dealer: Villian has 15 seconds left to act
Dealer: Villian bets 400
Dealer: Hero raises to 2,000
Dealer: MP3 folds
Dealer: Villian calls 1,600
Dealer: The turn is [4s]
Dealer: Villian bets 1,000
Dealer: Hero raises to 3,000
Dealer: Villian raises to 5,000
Dealer: Hero calls 2,000
Dealer: The river is [Ts]
Dealer: Villian bets 554, and is all in
Dealer: Hero calls 554
Dealer: Villian shows a pair of Tens
Dealer: Hero mucks
Dealer: Villian wins the pot (16,228) with a pair of Tens

BTW the reason I called with 8 9o was because I had a big stack and was playing really tight and so far the only cards my opponents had seen were kings queens and ace king. And I thought it would be correct to mix it up a little especially because the blinds were nothing to me
My reasoning post flop: The flop was exactly what I wanted. I knew I had the best hand, and I figured this would be my big opportunity to burn villian. So I raised big to try and take the pot right after the flop, but villian called. He must've assumed I was trying to resteal the pot from him again. When the turn was another brick I made a huge raise and he reraised. This worried me a little, but by now he only had a few more chips compared to the pot so I stuck it out and then on the river he put his last 500 chips in rather quickly which also scared me a little. He turned over Ace Ten. He had gotten his card a %12 chance going into the river. I tried to get him out of the hand before he could see any more cards but he was too stubborn and stayed in...and then it bit me in the ass. Is there something I should've done differently? Bigger bet after the flop?

-LC
Old 02-06-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Full Tilt MTT Frusteration Hand (long-ish)

I think you should have pushed him all in on the flop or on the turn, I mean a pair of 8's by no means is a strong hand and is very weak to over cards. I do not think he would have called off his case chips on ace high, however he was willing to bet them.

Big difference
Old 02-06-2005, 03:09 PM

I dont see how that would have mattered since the villian only had 554 on the river.

Looks like good play to me, he was just a lucky fish.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:14 PM

Ya, welcome to low stakes multis. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You get either loose-passives calling you down, or loose-aggressives reraising you. That's the reason there are so many beats at that level - nobody folds. Almost ever hand goes to a showdown.

You played it fine given your reads, but I like the push on the flop or turn even better. All-in is about all these guys respect and even then it's not much. If you wanted an ounce of fold equity you needed to push against this guy. He'd probably still call, but it would be an even worse play than the ones he made.