Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2005, 02:38 AM

Default Re: NBA MVP

I just don't think you can give the MVP to someone that is such a liability on the defensive side of the court.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Being good at basketball involves playing defense too. Something Nash could use a few lessons on.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the best point you've made in this thread. But seriously, I really don't think 'Bron shoots well enough from the outside to do what Nash is doing in Phoenix. It's very close, but how can anyone not vote for Duncan. The Spurs do have the best record in the league.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If they changed teams, do you think the Spurs would win more with Garnett? I don't. And I think Duncan would improve the T-wolves.

And I have tremendous respect for Garnett.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:26 AM

Did I really just read 80-odd posts without someone making a case for Stoudamire as MVP? The only guy in the top ten in scoring shooting over 50%, and he's at 57%. Gets his 26 ppg on 16 shots.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:12 PM

Defense is a very important aspect of the game, but it's not the only way to beat the other team. As opposed to a grinding defensive team like the Pistons, the Suns are very much geared toward outscoring the other team. Even if Steve Nash were Gary Payton in his prime, the Suns would not be stopping anyone without a true center or power forward. However, if your opponent scores 100 points, and you score 120, it's still a convincing win. What matters is how successful the system is, and who makes it work. The Sun's have the second best record in the league after a poor year last year, and Nash is the cornerstone to everything they do.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did I really just read 80-odd posts without someone making a case for Stoudamire as MVP? The only guy in the top ten in scoring shooting over 50%, and he's at 57%. Gets his 26 ppg on 16 shots.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's clear that his unusually high production is a result of the Nash factor. Just look at what he did when Nash was out. If he was capable of getting as many easy shots and scoring as many points due to his own talent, or did something like get 10 rebounds a game (he is supposed to be a center, right?), I think you could make a case for him. I don't think you can give it to him, as he is mostly just a recipient of Nash's much larger contribution.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:35 PM

"it's not the only way to beat the other team"

It's the only way to win an NBA title. Going back to the Pistons of the late 1980's, every NBA champ since then has been an outstanding defensive team with the possible exception of Houston.

There's a reason that Nash's more talented Dallas teams never got out of the west and his current less talented Suns team will meet the same fate.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"it's not the only way to beat the other team"

It's the only way to win an NBA title. Going back to the Pistons of the late 1980's, every NBA champ since then has been an outstanding defensive team with the possible exception of Houston.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite true, which is why I don't think Steve Nash will win Finals MVP.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Nash is significantly more efficient than Lebron"

Not according to the NBA's own efficiency ratings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus. That's one hell of a statistic.

[ QUOTE ]
Efficiency Formula: ((PTS + REB + AST + STL + BLK) - ((FGA - FGM) + (FTA - FTM) + TO)) / G

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-06-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nash has only started playing at such great levels since he came to Pheonix from Dallas. In Dallas he did't average nearly as many aps.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is utterly ridiculous. Nash has been one of the NBA's elite point guards for several years now. In fact, I would be hard-pressed to name more than one who has performed better over the last 4 years.