Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Re: I like poker so I\'m going to quit school.

This post inspired me to finally bite the bullet and drop out.

No, actually, it didn't, but I was hoping if I went broke you would send me a $10 dinner coupon out of guilt.

-Michael
Old 02-05-2005, 11:36 AM

Old 02-05-2005, 12:11 PM

Hi Evan. I disagree with you on this point.

I went to an excellent university, and got the second top mark in my year. I went to < 1/3 of the lectures, and those that I went to I would often spend talking, doing a crossword, reading a newspaper etc. I have always found I did best when working by myself.

I suspect that to a large extent it depends upon what degree you are doing. My brother got a First Class degree in Maths from the best uni in the country. He did not find lectures useful, because most of the subject was so complicated that he could not digest it in lectures.

For other people/unis/degrees lectures might be more important.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:20 PM

Lectures that are revlevant to my major would be impossible to replace with reading a textbook for a few reasons. I am sure this is not the case for everyone.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:24 PM

the best uni in the country

I hope you're talking about North of London, not West.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Collage just wasnt for me

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2005, 01:05 PM

Quit school to play online poker?
Why dont you just put a gun to your head and get it over with.

I'm serious.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the best uni in the country

I hope you're talking about North of London, not West.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Both are excellent though.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:48 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

for your sake i hope you crash and burn quickly zee
Old 02-05-2005, 03:43 PM

i can really only disagree with 10, but even that i don't know about for sure. it's easy to say you are "intelligent enough" to "find a way" to make $100k/yr somehow, even without a college degree. actually doing this may prove to be difficult.

anyway, one thing i know for sure. there are some people that just aren't cut out for college. some of them just aren't intelligent enough, straight up. some of them just shouldn't be there because it's simply not their bag. if they are there, they're not going to try, not going to go to class, do work, etc. they will surely fail out, so why waste the time/money? that is where zee falls in i think from reading his post.

to think that everyone should automatically just enter college and get a degree no matter what is just silly. as for me, i never wanted to go to college when i was in high school. i wasn't interested in any subject, and i decided it would be a waste until i knew what i wanted to study. fortunately when i took high school physics, i decided that that was what i wanted to learn all about. whereas some people just head off to college with money and a job on their minds, i honestly went to college just to learn all i could about physics and the world. good thing i went to college, because it was a blast. not only did i educate myself, but there's just so much else you can get out of college. something about moving out of your house and living in a dorm with a zillion other college kids, it's an experience i wouldn't want to go without.

zee gave it a shot. he went, and genuinely wasn't interested. he may just be part of a small percentage of young kids who college just isn't right for. lucky for him he can pull in a really good amount of income (if only for a limited time).

that being said i really think zee is maybe the exception to the rule. i think the vast majority of kids leaving college for poker specifically are making a big mistake they will most likely regret in the future. but hey, we all make mistakes. i have my own regrets. i could have done a LOT better in college. i mean, i failed classes that i just didn't care about. i wouldn't show up for weeks at a time only to find out i missed a midterm when i did show up. of course those were BS classes like psychology 100 etc., but GPA does not discriminate.

in closing, college is not for everyone, but i still feel a lot of these kids are making serious mistakes they will regret.