Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Quitting Poker (LONG)

Good for you!

1. The best thing I learned about poker is if you can beat this card game then you will do great in the real world. But in the real world, you doing great might actually mean somehting.
2. My right ankle has been immobile all my life. I hardly notice it.
3. I paid for my education at top 20 school doing this poker thing. I am sure you can too. You also will get bored and will look to raise the stakes (to M&A and IB type stakes), education at Chicago will help there.

Good luck.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My opinion is that you should prioritize. My priorities are something like this, 1) friends 2) poker 3) school 4) family 5) girls.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are going to lead a very lonely and sad life if these priorities remain unchanged.

Family should always be one.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:18 PM

Great post - you're a smart, insightful guy and you'll do well at whatever you focus on (except maybe tap dancing).
Old 02-04-2005, 01:02 PM

Great post and good luck.

College will be an amazing time of your life; enjoy it to the fullest.

Good luck with the ankle, too.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:11 PM

Thanks alot, once again these replies mean alot to me.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:38 PM

Glad to see that you're getting your priorities straightened out. But I still can't quite comprehend how QUITTING poker fits into that. Definitely an -EV move... Limit yourself to a certain # of hours per week, like say 10 hours. Play no more than 500 hands a day and it really should not affect anything. That is, unless you're triple-majoring, have two girlfriends, and play in the NCAA. Another thing to consider would be 8-tabling, if you can handle it. Then you can play the same hands in half the time. If you can discipline yourself to play poker well, you can absolutely discipline yourself to not let it take over your life. I'm playing 500-600 hands a day, getting straight As, enjoying a social life, and getting daily exercise with zero difficulty. IT CAN BE DONE. That said, I admire your decision, and I wish you the best of luck.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:11 PM

I guess you are a young one like myself that hasn't viewed poker from an outside viewpoint. Poker really does affect you as a person and you can't notice it until you step away from poker for a little bit. That is when you will notice the changes in your personality.

And also just by saying that my quitting of poker is -ev shows that you didn't understand one part of my story.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker really does affect you as a person and you can't notice it until you step away from poker for a little bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker positively affects people's personalities in my opinion; at least it did for me. It encourages discipline and patience. Since I started playing poker I became more friendly, and more generous(since I had the money to be). If your personality is being negatively affected by poker, perhaps you just need to take it less seriously.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:13 PM

i have not read the replies yet, but i'm glad you are taking a break. be with your friends, enjoy your youth, and come back when your head is in the game and it is legal for you to play.

gl
Old 02-05-2005, 04:35 PM

I agree with Procrastinator. I think there can be a balance. I for one and am a senior in high school and still find time for school (straight A's, 4.0), social life (I almost NEVER sit home on a friday or saturday night and play poker), and I also workout every day. I play mabye 1-2 hours a day, 3 tabling. I made 15K this year. It can be done, you just have to play less, and play when you have nothing else to do.

If I have to do a school assignment, I'll finish it before I play poker. Same goes with doing fun stuff. Poker comes second to all that.

That being said, I NEVER watch TV. Mabye 30 minutes a week on average. I prefer to be making money instead. Same goes with video games, I don't play them cause they are a waste of time.

In conclusion, I think that poker can be fit in. I sure as hell could not give up the extra income at this point. How many of your friends are working for $6/hr, for 20 hours a week? Probably most of them. At least mine are. They would kill to make $40/hr.

Now that you can beat the game, it would be a shame not to use that ability.

Good luck and I hope you can sort things out. Just remember, don't stop your life for poker, play when you have nothing else to do. You should be fine if you do this.