Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2005, 06:58 PM

Default fold set of 2\'s on the flop?

2nd hand of one table sng... no reads
limp in mp with 22(i know some would disagree with even playing this hand from mp however i have my theory on the subject and my question here is purely post flop play)
blinds are 10/20
5 limpers... as there often are in early rounds of sngs...
Pot=100
flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
sb checks... bb bets 60... i raise to 240... mp+1 reraises to 480... button folds... sb folds... bb calls... i move in... mp+1 calls bb calls...

bad raise? the only hand i can be afraid of i think is the bb having 45 or the mp+1 having 33 however i think it is much more likely to see two draws or amybe A3... any thoughts?
Old 02-04-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Re: fold set of 2\'s on the flop?

this would be a terrible fold.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:33 PM

They could have A4, A5, two pair, Kx of diamonds, or any number of other hands. I read somewhere that you should never lay down trips, and this probably isn't far from the truth. I'm not saying there is absolutely never a time to fold them, but this is definitely not one of those times.

Even if one of them has a made straight you have enough outs to call with the odds you're getting. Just grit your teeth and push in those chips.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:40 PM

If this sng is $50 or lower, guys will go all in (or even call an all in) with practically any ace or a couple of diamonds. I think most of the time you're good here, although you certainly might run into 45.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:47 PM

push turn if no diamond or 4.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:48 PM

so u're saying i should give anyone on the draw a chance to hit before i push here? instead of moving in on the flop?
Old 02-04-2005, 08:01 PM

Flop and Big $
Old 02-04-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2nd hand of one table sng... no reads
limp in mp with 22(i know some would disagree with even playing this hand from mp however i have my theory on the subject and my question here is purely post flop play)
blinds are 10/20
5 limpers... as there often are in early rounds of sngs...
Pot=100
flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
sb checks... bb bets 60... i raise to 240... mp+1 reraises to 480... button folds... sb folds... bb calls... i move in... mp+1 calls bb calls...

bad raise? the only hand i can be afraid of i think is the bb having 45 or the mp+1 having 33 however i think it is much more likely to see two draws or amybe A3... any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

90% chance you are in the lead here. AA is very unlikely, the only hands you are worried about are 33 or 45, and with this board it is much more likely you will be shown an ace or a draw than either of those hands. I think you played it well. Not much point waiting until the turn to put the rest of your money in, it's all getting in there anyway.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:39 PM

I would go all-in on this flop. If Villian shows a straight on the flop, at least I still have outs for the full house. Might be possible for Villian to have AA, but it's unlikely.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:50 PM

I'd play it exactly like you did (including the pre-flop limp).