Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2005, 10:11 AM

Default How to beat small stakes PL, NL cashgames at PP. Overall strategy.

Hi. I play at PP NL STT by 11 and 22. Try to play casgames PL and NL. Thats some kind of nightmare. PL is ok, but NL is real surprise for me. Zilion milion times my AA allin was caled by 59s, J3o etc. I am a new to this forum may be somebody can tell some suggestions to basic strategy, becoz solid poker play doesnot caunt here I think. In my opinion if table limit were higher the play were more solid. I dont know how to play at those tables.
P.S. At STT PL and NL tables Iam doing good. Had played more than 500 tourneys an my ROI is about 23%. I think thats good result. I play for 2 months.
Thank you.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:18 AM

Default Re: How to beat small stakes PL, NL cashgames at PP. Overall strategy.

Yes, I've also had this question for quite some time. If anyone has any good answers I would love to hear them, too. How DO you beat cash games?
Old 02-04-2005, 03:48 PM

Just remember, ANY 2 CARDS CAN WIN!
Old 02-04-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi. I play at PP NL STT by 11 and 22. Try to play casgames PL and NL. Thats some kind of nightmare. PL is ok, but NL is real surprise for me. Zilion milion times my AA allin was caled by 59s, J3o etc. I am a new to this forum may be somebody can tell some suggestions to basic strategy, becoz solid poker play doesnot caunt here I think. In my opinion if table limit were higher the play were more solid. I dont know how to play at those tables.
P.S. At STT PL and NL tables Iam doing good. Had played more than 500 tourneys an my ROI is about 23%. I think thats good result. I play for 2 months.
Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,

A couple of points.

Firstly, if you come to the forum and say solid play will not win at low limits then you are asking for silly responses.

Onto the real stuff,

My biggest tips for full ring NL cash games for a newcomer would be,

Play tightly (VPIP 20%)

Don't play trap hands (AQo/AJo/KQ/KJ etc) against a raise

Try to play small pots with your TPTK

Limp with your pocket pairs, sets are gold

Keep reading these forums and post problem hands (not bad beats etc).

Solid play will win!
Old 02-04-2005, 04:08 PM

IPP;

Thanks for your advice. I am looking for exactly these type of tips. Could elaborate on what you mean by "Play TPTK for small pots."? Does that mean you should not try to build the pot with these type of hands? Avoid going all in? Typically I will Pot bet these type of Hands at the flop. Is this correct?

Thanks.

-M
Old 02-04-2005, 06:07 PM

I would be thrilled if 59s and J3o called an allin when I held AA. If these hands beat you then that fine, but understand you were the favorite by quite a bit. Also with the 50bb stacks at party it isn't bad to get your money all-in with TPTK. Remember you aren't always going to have winning sessions but good, solid play will reduce the times you don't.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:52 PM

You are right good solid play will not beat the low limit games, it will crush them. It sounds like you have caught a few bad beats, just play through them and you will win. When someone goes allin against your rockets with crap, you should be down on your knees thanking whoever it is you believe in. As for your comment about higher limits, if you really think you will have better results against tougher more solid competition go right ahead. I think you will find it much tougher to make money against people who won't call your all-in with any 2 cards. JMO
Old 02-04-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IPP;

Thanks for your advice. I am looking for exactly these type of tips. Could elaborate on what you mean by "Play TPTK for small pots."? Does that mean you should not try to build the pot with these type of hands? Avoid going all in?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where we get into it depends discussion.

Basically in NL if the stacks are deep then TPTK is the sort of hand that will get you in trouble.

If you play at Party and the stacks are shallow then its not that bad.

[ QUOTE ]
Typically I will Pot bet these type of Hands at the flop. Is this correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

What was the preflop action.
How co-ordinated is the board.
How many players are still in.

First to act into 6 opponents with AKo on a KQT board plays alot differently to having 1 opponent on a K72 board.

Just so we understand. I am not advocating weak-tight play. Its just that TPTK will sometimes lose people money, particulaly in a raised pot.

Most times your AA/KK/QQ get paid off post-flop it is when your opponent has caught TP.

The best thing you can do is read this board and post hands. People on here are always ready to help - just remember that when you think people are "having a go" with their responses.