Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2005, 06:38 PM

Default Re: State of the Union and the Democrats

[ QUOTE ]
I know Bush has also said he wants to limit government spending, but we all know that ain't gonna happen.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is always my biggest reason for cutting taxes. If you give the government money they are going to spend it. No doubt. At least with a tax cut you put a lot of pressure on that spending at a net zero revenue effect (i.e., assuming no additional taxes due to economic stimulus).
Old 02-04-2005, 12:46 AM

The President's specific claims about the year 2018 and 2042 (I believe those are the years he used) are based on the most pessimistic assumptions which historically have always been wrong. My sense is that he's presenting a pessimistic case so he can get his privatization plan through as part of a package to "save" Social Security.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:49 AM

When I was younger, it was the Democrats who were the "reckless spenders" and the Republicans who pleased for "fiscal responsibility." Now the shoe's on the other foot, which lends support to my basic position that there's very little principle in either party.

The estimates I've seen are that the privatization plan would add $2,000,000,000,000 to the debt. A trillion here, a trillion there, pretty soon you're talking serious money.