Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Suggestions on labels?

Seems like the cool thing to do is pick up a stack of nexgens from 5star and slap some labels on, this is what I've come up with (stole the penguin from the mints) - one of my i'll-conceived nicknames is penguin (cuz i was at this conference one time and basically waddled up to the stage apparently, i still deny it)

Anyways, problem is i'm in reno and the chips say vegas, which is a bit strange, should i change the reno, nv to something else, and if so what? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

The bottom image shows them with/without tie, I like the tie myself, pulls the black up into the middle and looks pretty GQ IMO.

With/without tie...

Old 02-03-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Suggestions on labels?

I like the chips. To respond to your questions, though:

Drop the "Reno, NV". It looks good, but doesn't fit with the "Las Vegas".

I like the penguin, but he looks best in black & white. Rather than changing the penguin's color to match the chip color, you might keep the penguin B&W, and change the background sunburst color to match the chip color.

I'm not sure about the tie. It doesn't seem to fit the penguin very well.... maybe if the tie were curved a bit it would look better.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:45 PM

Very cool look! I like with the tie myself adds a little character. Whatever you do make that reno a bit bigger you'll never get that kindof deatil that small. Unless you have them pressed.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:47 PM

I like the tie on as well..

Very nice looking.

Do most of you guys design these labels in Photoshop?
I have very basic photoshop knowledge.
Are there any tutorials out there I could read to help me learn some more? Ive found a few online, but they basically tell me the things I already know or dont care to know at this point.

One thing I want to learn, that Im sure is pretty simple, is how to create that multicolored background in some kind of design.
On yours its like black and white sunrays with the center being all white... how do you accomplish something like that?
If I can get the basics Im sure I could fiddle around do my own stuff. I just need to know where to start.
This is assuming you use Photoshop (I have PS7)
Old 02-03-2005, 04:59 PM

I love'em! I think the penguins changing color to match the body color is very nice IMO. Though I would like to see them with the sunburst colored instead like the other person said.
Change the reno, nv to perhaps just nevada or las vegas, nv. Like the other said, reno just doesn't fit the chips.

Oh, and no tie.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:21 PM

very cool. I like the penguin changing colors with the body color. Ditch Reno, NV. Might be cool to put the edgespot color in the background sunburst.

edit: oh yeah, no tie or a bowtie that's the same color as the penguin. That tie ain't nothin but the white man's noose around his neck! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2005, 05:21 PM

Pretty cool & I like the name... even if the story's totaly false [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

How 'bout making the sunburst colors match the chip color, leave the penguin blk & wht but match the denoms, tie (I like) & the word "penguin" to the edge spot color... or some combo like that.

- Fins
Old 02-03-2005, 06:40 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I tried dinking around with the sunburst but couldn't get it to work quite right (esp since I had it darker at the top and bottom) I kinda like the grayscale in the back as it provides a backdrop but doesn't force itself into the forground, and looks kinda classic (like old TVish)

I did up another one with the penguins all black, but changing the tie/denom/and "penguin" to the predominant chip color (i tried working in both the body and edgespot color, but for like the yellow and the blue, and to some extent the green, it doesn't really work since the spots are so close to white), so instead i picked just one color, so all the chips are the same in that regard (like for white, i used pink, but for the yellow i stuck with yellow)

I think I'm gonna leave the tie as its 50/50 here and with my friends on my poker list, and I like it =)

Anyways thanks for the insight, and drop another image here when I get home (I can't get the image off my laptop here at work)
Old 02-03-2005, 07:50 PM

sounds like a plan.
For the tie, though, it just doesn't look quite right to me... it seems like the penguin's chest is kinda round, but the tie is straight. So it doesn't look like the tie is really on the penguin --- know what I mean? Maybe if you could curve the tie a little it would look more like it was on his chest.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:11 PM

Alright this is what I went with, thanks to every for your opinions (lego: i agree with the curving, but i tried it and couldn't get it to look quite right, don't really know how to describe it, i don't mind the tacked-on look that much though)

Anyways I'll post back after I get all the stuff together =)