Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Any home owners out there?

Cabinets...and nice stoves and ovens - sometimes those r the selling points of a house since the woman controls the man!! Nice master bed and bath too! Also storage plays a role, basements r key...if u dont have one...have a storage shed put in outside if possible...which also leads to having a nice yard/exterior...rememeber its the 1st thing people see!!

And yes ALWAYS ALWAYS get estimates on just about everything u do...sometimes it can be a pain but unless its a friend doing the job and u know thier work shop around and also get references of work they have done etc etc. Ask friends who they have used and liked...sometimes its best to go with the mid-price vs the lowest cause then u just get crap work done

Im in the 1st stages of getting together blue prints to have a house built YEY!
Old 02-03-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sadly the windows and the other I was thinking of (landscaping) seem to pay back a smaller pecentage of the amount invested. I was also thinking about putting some hardwood floors down in the kitchen which seems like it might be a good way to go, but it doesn't look like many improvements yeild much value when selling a home.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get totally fixated on sale value, there is also the benefits of living in a nicer home. And if it means you stay in the home longer before "upgrading" to something more expensive, that may net you a higher sales price, and you'll save money with lower living costs as long as you stay in your current house.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:47 PM

If you're a golfer, I recommend this: [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-03-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im in the 1st stages of getting together blue prints to have a house built YEY!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck. We just did it last year...what a pain in the ass building a house is. Now that we're in I love it, but man it sucks. You think it will be fun to be able to pick everything. You forget that you have to pick EVERYTHING.

Good luck [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2005, 01:59 PM

This is form a UK perspective but see no reason why is shouldnt apply in the US.

Big improvements are anything that adds a room or extra floor space, so Loft conversions and conservatorty/any extension will add most value.

After that the Kitchen and bathroom anre the next most important as they are the main fixed fixtures, people dont want to move in and refit a kitchen or bathroom, but will if house is cheaper.

The trend in the UK is for more open plan living with a Kitchen with a breakfast room either in it or next to it with room for tv seats etc where the family hang out with a more formal living room for more serious chilling.

After all that a decent well kept basic tidy garden, and nuetral colour scheme on the inside. Supposedly a buyer makes the decison on if they like the house in the first 30 seconds, so you might have the dream kitchen but have a muddy mess of a lawn with dog crap, an old sofa etc in it then the chances of a sale or getting premium price is severly reduced.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:04 PM

nice.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:05 PM

hahaha o i know...but mah dad is an architect and my mom is a huge garden and styles of homes freak...she collects magizines from the 70s onward and marks pages in every one on things she wants to do to one of her houses...its INSANE she has about 300 magazines no lie!! So some of thier tastes and the diversity of choices has rubbed off on me, plus ive been workin on these for about a yr and pretty much knew what i wanted before then b/c mah granddad was a builder, so it hasnt been TOO hard and loads of fun!! Now i just have to finalize blue prints and pick out the land i want!!
Old 02-03-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you definitely should install a stage and stripper pole.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really wanted to do that for fun lol. Plus the name of my street has dancer in it although it was named after a horse.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:31 PM

depending of course on trends in the market in your area and how much money you have from poker id say the best thing you can do is find a really good mortgage broker (one who can do no doc/no down or low down home loans for instance) and buy another house and rent it out.