Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Re: How much harder is $30+3 vs $20+2 vs $10+1 vs $5+.50.

Maybe we just confuse people who know how to play because they aren't sure what we're going to do next? lol.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most people are referring to Party when they quote 40-45% at the very bottom limits.
I have no doubts that 50% is possible at some other sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think are decent numbers for the low buy ins at Stars? Regular and turbo?

Would the deeper stacks mean you should finish in the money more, or less?
Old 02-02-2005, 05:13 PM

Fine plan, build your bankroll and confidence in the 5's. But as already said, don't even consider thinking about your ITM or ROI before you have _at least_ 50-100 tourneys.

Loosing streak of 3 worries you? In that case i suggest you stop playing SnG's, maybe stop playing poker at all. You're going to get loosing streaks of 15+ tourneys if you're playing long enough, it's called variance, nobody escapes.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe we just confuse people who know how to play because they aren't sure what we're going to do next? lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's always good to start well and you seems to find the right place (this forum) to start your SNG experience. There is nothing wrong to think beyond your level from time to time. Everyone in this forum dreams of killing those $200 games from time to time. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]Just be ready once inevitable bad swings comes. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2005, 05:18 PM

I believe there are ways to limit the effects of variance... maybe I'm wrong. But I'm not much into gamblin with negative expected return. If I have a positive expected return, I don't feel like it's gambling. lol
Old 02-02-2005, 05:58 PM

Just wait long enough. The variance monster has a large appetite and doesn't like to share.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe there are ways to limit the effects of variance... maybe I'm wrong. But I'm not much into gamblin with negative expected return. If I have a positive expected return, I don't feel like it's gambling. lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Expected value is a wonderful abstraction, but believe me, you are still gambling. And with this small a sample size you have no idea if you are actually a winning player. My ROI on the $10+1s started out somewhere around 40% for the first 50 tournaments, and I thought "wow, these games are great!" Since then it has steadily dropped and is now somewhere around 20%, which is probably realistic. I'm a decent player but not nearly as good as many around here.

When you've played 200 SNGs at the same level, you can start analyzing stats. Anything before that is an exercise in futility.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I have a positive expected return, I don't feel like it's gambling. lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you tacked on a 'lol' this could easily be you making a joke b/c you already ascribe to what I've written above. If this is the case, then please disregard the following:

You can feel any way you would like. However, playing poker most certainly IS gambling. In addition, approaching poker like it's not gambling can be quite hazzardous for both psychological and decision making reasons.

If you 'feel' poker isn't gambling b/c you associate negative connotations with the word 'gambling' (yet want gambling to be ethically ok choice) then I suggest you redefine the ethical value of gambling within your ethics sooner rather than later. Otherwise you will end up feeling guilty and/or view poker as not gambling.

In case no one gave you a proper welcome (seeing as though you only have a couple dozen posts):

Welcome to the forum!

Yugoslav

SNG Forum Caution: Please remember to wear your 'jacket of thick skin' at all times! It is invaluable here and on 2+2 in general.

Also, use the search function liberally and often for content in this forum. Or use google to search 2+2. Try to keep in mind that part of the satisfaction in gaining knowledge is the struggle (the damn search function) to find it.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:15 PM

I think he meant to say he feels like he's investing. Investing is still gambling though (just with a perceived advantage).
Old 02-02-2005, 11:12 PM

40% is still a decent number, I'm not sure what it would top out at, but pretty sure it's over 50%.

Would the deeper stacks mean you should finish in the money more, or less?

More.

If you take it to the extreme and give everyone 1BB, the initial stages would be 100% luck and even heads up at the end would be nearly 100% luck.
Deeper stacks allow more poker to be played.

However, it is not the full story. Short stacks lead to quicker turnover so although your win per tournament would be lower, your hourly rate would be potentially better.

When selecting where to play, these factors will be different for different people.
My win rate at UB was so ridiculous that I actually had a higher hourly rate in the $11s at UB than at Party, despite the tourneys taking forever, but now I'm in the $33s, Party appears to be the way forward.

Lori