Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2005, 12:50 AM

Default ? on cold calling as per SSHE Recommendations

I read SSHE about 3 month ago and decided that I wasn't reading another book till I felt I was close to "mastering" all the concepts. I'm amazed how, as I go back over and over again, the same chapters reveal more insight.

One area I'm a little cloudy on is the after flop play of the few hands that are recommended to only cold call raises on(ex. AJs,KQs) and lesser raising hand that get re-raised to me for one bet.(AJ,KJs) ( (Assume tight recommendations.)

What am I looking for in order to consider continuing with the hand. I realize that this is a very broad question and dependent on alot of table specific reads and variables, but I'm looking "TextBook" guideline to rely upon in times of uncertainty. This has been the strongest assest of SSHE for me thus far and has kept me out of trouble in "tiltable" situations.

I feel that I have at least an average grasp of the post flop concepts, but much is predicated on knowing if you are ahead.(The constant reverberation about not cold calling raises, while saving me money over previous play, has shaken my confidence in knowing this.) Also, a large number of his examples are with larger pots, which I don't always encounter in theses situations.

Any help you can provide in getting though this is much appreciated.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:28 AM

Default Re: ? on cold calling as per SSHE Recommendations

I am quite sure the cold calling raises Ed refers to are in the preflop. There are many more things to consider than your hole cards after the flop. btw Mr Millers book says alot about postflop play. But it is prpbably 100 pages worth.
bud
Old 01-28-2005, 02:19 PM

No textbook answers here. Pre-flop play is formula, and quite frankly very easy. Once you get to the flop - you have to make informed decisions.

Using the most basic of data - that of the pot size, the size of the current bet, and the estimated number of outs you have is a good place to start. Calculating pot odds is as close to a formula you'll get for post-flop play in limit hold'em.

I almost never "know" I am ahead on the river. I rarely hold the nuts, after all - and there is always some small (or large) chance that I'm behind. Learn to estimate this chance accurately enough, and to do the math quick enough in your head to determine whether calling or raising is +EV.

The W$SD statistic (pokertracker) is particularly useful here, especially against an opponent you have a large number of hands against.

Oh, and please do pick up Theory of Poker. It fits perfectly with SSHE, and will cover more of the math that is used in a poker game. SSHE is great, but it can't cover it all. I don't think any average person can master the concepts in SSHE fully until they've read TOP.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:32 PM

what does TOP have, that help you with SSH?
Old 01-29-2005, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what does TOP have, that help you with SSH?

[/ QUOTE ]

TOP has concepts that one must master to be successful in any form of poker. It's an absolute must read. Most of the concepts in SSH are directly derived from concepts in TOP, but specialized to beat loose-passive games. It's the one poker book that every player should read.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:05 AM

is TOP good if your interest only in low limit holdem?
Old 01-29-2005, 12:31 PM

Sorry, What does the W$SD stat measure?
Old 01-29-2005, 02:05 PM

Win $ at Show Down
Old 02-02-2005, 04:43 PM

Yes, TOP is very useful even if you plan to stick with lower limits. It will help you understand the strategies presented in SSH, and will give you a better overall understanding of the game.