Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 08:09 AM

Default a bit uncertain

Button and UTG+2 are virtually unknown, but I am beginning to think that Button has LAG tendencies. Can't decide how I feel about this hand. On the flop I wonder if my aggression is too over the top. On the turn I can't decide if leading is superior, or if I should have laid it down at all because of pot size. Any help appreciated.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (21 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (17 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Button calls, Hero folds.

River: (19 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 19 BB

BTW, against just one opponent I am calling turn and river.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Re: a bit uncertain

Does this smell of collusion? UTG+2 bets into a capped pot when the flush comes, after cold calling the whole way, preflop and flop. And then once hero folds, he checks the river...hmmm.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:16 AM

I wouldn't have folded the turn. I probably would have bet it. It seems you fear the flush and if raised on the turn, that could be the case. Top pair top kicker is hard to toss away in that situation (for me) though ...
Old 02-02-2005, 11:35 AM

What's that thing about not folding good hands in big pots? You close the action on the turn, why fold TPTK for 1 bet? You're getting 19-1 on your call. Is there a 5% chance that you're not beat? I think there is.

I call here, and probably check/call the river, pot too big and you do have a good hand even though the board is scary.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:51 AM

I would C/R the flop.

The pot is way to big to fold on the turn when you're closing the action. Just because UTG+2 woke up on a flush card does not mean he has a flush. He could very easily have two pair or be bluffing a scare card after you checked. Getting 19:1 you obviously have odds to draw if you're behind 2-pair. You're drawing dead behind a flush or slow-played set but you can't be 95% sure you're behind those hands.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:57 AM

I don't think your aggression on the flop is over the top. Sure, button might have AA or KK, but he can also have a number of other hands, especially if he is LAG, and the pot is big. You want to fold hands like Kx.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:12 PM

Actually you shouldn't even be in the hand with cards like Kx.

Kxs from the SB ok, but Kx (where x is lower than 10) kind of blows.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:38 PM

I think check-raising this flop is important, or check-calling the flop and check-raising the turn. THe pot is big and you must find a way to protect your hand. On the flop, the best way to do that is check to the LP PF agressor and raise, forcing the field to call two cold.

I think you must bet the turn and call a raise. Just because button showed lots of aggression on the flop doesn't mean you're beat, and you must protect your hand if you're ahead. If you get raised again on the turn, it's okay to go into call down mode. But I'm not ever folding this hand for one BB after the PF and flop action, no matter what.

As a rule, if the pot has &gt;20SB before the flop and you pair up with AK, you should be ready to go to a showdown, especially if you are never faced with calling two bets at once. You can't afford to put 4BB into the pot on the PF and flop streets, and then fold when it will only cost you 2 more BB to show down your hand.