Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 03:10 AM

Default Re: WTF, 10+1\'s super tight

[ QUOTE ]

Back to the orig topic, I played a $33 today where I won in 27 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]
considering I win one game where we were on bubble 6 hands into Level 9 at $20s yesterday, maybe I should play $30 more often? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2005, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"That stops guys from stealing blinds from you too."

I've found that pushing with 1k or less twice in a row at 50/100 also stops alot of stealing attempts. In general this is nice, but terrible when you get that monster.

Back to the orig topic, I played a $33 today where I won in 27 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am normally a lurker here, but I just have to comment on this one. Do most people find this statement to be true? In my expirence at $10+1's, shoving two hands in a row is a great way to get the 2nd one called, for better or worse. Does this change as the buyins go up?
Old 02-02-2005, 12:06 PM

Ok I'm fairly new here. I'm trying to get a grasp on what you guys think should be done about these 10+1 being super tight... I've been playing them for about 3 weeks now, i have about 60 under my belt now..ITM 34%... ROI 4% [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
I've been getting the bad end of alot of coin flips lately... anyways.. I read aleos guide a while back when I was playing on pacific and it would worked like a charm... On PArty it doesnt work so well. What kind of adjustments do you guys think need to be made to the guide now that the tables are much more tight-passive?
Old 02-02-2005, 12:17 PM

Lorinda responded to a post I made about similar Party conditions her response was (paraphrasing)

If you can double through the one bad player early [or increase your stack early through another means] you can punish the table at the 50/100 level with smallish PF bets that will fold most of the table.

I tried this last night and it worked well. It's funny, the style advocated by this site seems to be building an interesting phenomenon. You see more people playing tight in to level 4 and up but you also see more people pushing blind stealing to lower rounds. I've seen a lot of pushes from CO/CO+1/CO+2 as early as level 2/3 taking down the blinds. I don't think that putting your whole stack at risk for 75 chips is the proper strategy, but if the table is tight there isn't a reason that you can't open late with a few more hands, is there?
Old 02-02-2005, 03:05 PM

I've been playing them for about 3 weeks now, i have about 60 under my belt now..ITM 34%... ROI 4%

Why so sad?

You're new at poker and you're getting paid to learn, this is a great situation.

With all the good players here posting 25% ROIs and up, it is often possible to lose sight of the bigger picture.

4% return on investment on 60 tourneys (< inesert obligitary sample size mention here&gt is somewhat better than you'd get in a bank in the same time period and if 4% is your true ROI it means you would be earning as you're learning.

The main thing to add to the guide would be "Think about what you are doing, learn about why the guide works and adjust accordingly".

Lori
Old 02-02-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ITM 34%... ROI 4% [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Turn your frown upside down! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] To start with your sample size is uber-small. Plus, you say you're new so even if your long term ROI is 4% right now (which it isn't, it could easily be negative or higher) you're getting paid to play (echo of Lori's post)! If you want, you can always start playing some mind suck game like chess instead and you'll experience at least a -4% ROI in tournament/book/equipment fees, [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Yugoslav
Old 02-02-2005, 03:13 PM

Super tight 10+1's arent such a bad thing.

The "trained monkey" approach no longer lets you slide ITM by letting 7 ppl bustout. But, its easier for a good player to navigate the minefield when opponents play semi-coherent poker. You can at least put them on a range of hands. I think you gould get more firsts in tight 10+1 than a loose one. I mean that. Less ITM, more 1sts.

THeres 10 starting stacks in play, and you get ITM versus 2 guys who share about 8 of the 10 stacks. You gotta be BOTH good and lucky to get 1st even one-third of the time if this is the norm.

BUt when the game is tight, im not against the luckyest guy from the meyham (the guy with 6 skins). Theres more chance i picked up some pots, have reasonable stack, maybe even got lucky, got big, and outplayed them on the bubble.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:24 PM

I realise that 4% ROI isnt bad but im used to Winning [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Been playing pacific for a year and have cashed out a 500-800 at the 10+1, but now at party it seems I have to adjust my play... The funny thing about poker is you can think your the greatest player in the world; a month later you think back and you realize how much you sucked and how much work you still have till your any good at all [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2005, 07:56 PM

...and you realize that maybe you played the same quality of poker last month as this month, but last month you had 4%ROI and this month you have 35%. Even though you plyed just as well/poorly both months.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:10 PM

ok I see what your getting at, I wont know [censored] until I have a big enough sample... Ok well i'll get back to you when I'm up to 300 sng's