Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2005, 12:56 AM

Default Re: Raymer vs Action Dan WSOP 2004 Final table hand

He also got David Williams to lay down AQ in late position.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:31 AM

Yeah, I think he was half trying to make a move here, half trying to isolate Raymer. With the raise here, he puts Arieh in a tough spot because he cannot call the raise from Harrington without a premium hand since he has Raymer left to act behind him. For all Arieh knows, Raymer could re-raise Harrington. Worst case scenario, if Arieh calls this raise, he could be faced with an all-in in another few seconds. Like Shibby mentioned, this is explained in detail in HOH and there's also an interesting example from the final table of the 2003 WSOP.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:59 AM

He's not trying to isolate anyone with 62, he's stealing.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:20 AM

Ya, nice ballsy play. If I remember correctly, Dan even got David Williams to fold AQ behind him. You dont see it as much in the TV coverage, but i watched all the hands play out on Stars when the WSOP was actually going on, and Raymer and Arieh were playing a ton of pots against each other, so I think that was an opportunity Harrington was probably waiting on. I remember when I saw the hand on Stars thinking Jesus, Harrington just put in a full pot-raise of $1 million, he's gotta have at least QQ here, so it was pretty funny when I saw it on TV. I liked it alot more than Glen Hughes re-raise all-in w/KQo, followed by telling Raymer, "I came here to gamble". Never did understand that one.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:06 AM

I thought that was weird too. Greg actually asked him if it was a race and he said something like "lets gamble".
Old 02-01-2005, 11:14 AM

No, but the worst that can happen here really (besides an unlikely limp/reraise) is that Arieh folds and Raymer calls. Even then he still has position and is in control of the betting. Plan B?

It's funny though, this discussion really points out how routine and relatively simple that hand was, whereas on T.V. it was marketed as this huge bluff.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought that was weird too. Greg actually asked him if it was a race and he said something like "lets gamble".

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. It was as if Raymer asked "Is my small pair dominated?" and Hughes replied with "naaa". Would have mades Hughes look pretty smart if he held queens or something but as it was I thought it was pretty awful.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Action Dan even looked very suspicious, almost afraid to look around. Looked like he was trying to avoid eyecontact, but knew he HAD to look at Raymer not to seem weak. Oh well, just seemed odd. Seemd kind of like Raymer's generousity got the best of him =)

Am I totally wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you're. Dan outplayted Raymer and used his image to prefection!

I highly doubt he looked away to seem strong. I will never look at an opponent square in the eye when bluffing or when I have a good hand and I doubt Dan will as well.

His generosity had nothing to do with it. I laughed when I read that little line, oh boy! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]