Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 10:08 AM

Default Good or bad push?

Played a 35+3$ no limit freezeout tournament on Prima Poker last night.

220~ players, 20 places paid.

1500 starting chips.

With 150 players left I was 16th in chips with around 4,5k. Blinds were on 25/50.

In an early position I was dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and raised to a 100. Two other players flat call (player1 with 2k chips, player2 with 4k chips). Both the blinds folded.

Flop comes K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

I bet for 100, player1 calls, and player2 raises to 400.

After that I pushed all-in. I was pretty sure I was the favourite in this situation, I didn't fear being up against Kings or Queens since if that had been the case there would certainly have been more raising before the flop, and (despite its small probability) if someone had pocket fours I think I would have encountered a bigger raise after the flop.

I didn't put player1 on any good hand since he just called (and this would not be the the kind of flop you'd slowplay), possibly he was on a draw, but what I was really trying to figure out what was player2 was on. Maybe A-K, K-J, A-J, 10-J(s) or somewhat similiar. I also thought it was possible that he was on a flush draw, but then he'd have to be on the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or possibly J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], else I don't think he would have called my pre-flop raise.

Anyway, the time to think on Prima is limited to 20 seconds so I just pushed all-in without any deeper analyzing. What I'm wondering is if this was a correct play, or if it would have been better to just call and see what hit on the turn, since there was a possibility of both straight and flush draws out there (even though I had a chance of still winning by hitting a full house). Take in consideration that I was almost convinced that I was the favourite to the pot at that moment.

I will reveal the outcome later on, but first I'm looking forward to hear your opinions on the situation [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Kahler
Old 02-02-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Good or bad push?

I'd say your bet Preflop was weak. If you were going to play it, then put in 150-200. That might have gotten you down to heads up. Alot of people ignore a 2x bet early.

On the flop, you put in 1/4 pot. That just begs flush and straight draws to call. I would have gone for 3/4 of the pot. Now they don't have pot odds, and a call is more likely than a raise. I'd say Player 2 has a King and figures you for a Ax, Kx or a draw. Player 1 I'd put on a draw.

As for reraising with a push. You are ahead right now in my mind, and a push might buy it for you. But I think you could have just come back over for 1500 and had the same effect.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:57 AM

I agree 100%
Old 02-02-2005, 12:24 PM

Player1 worries me more than player2. I wouldn't be at all surprised if player 2 is on a pair of Qs or total junk. Your low flop bet and player 2 just calling it make a semi-bluff (or even a total bluff) from him very likely. I'd be wanting to get rid of player 1 and go HTH with player 2. I'd be tempted to throw in a fairly small reraise - e.g. raise it to 1000. That should price player 1 out of his draw but not scare player 2 off. I'd then be looking to get player 2 all-in on the turn on a check-raise.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:56 PM

all your bets are too weak here. preflop you need to raise at least 4x BB and on the flop you need to bet somewhere around the size of the pot. make flush draws and straight draws really pay to draw.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:30 PM

I personally think that this is a bad push. First, I rarely like a push against a stack that you barely have covered unless you have the nutz at the moment and you put your oponent on a draw that may beat you less than 25% of the time (like a straight up flush draw in your case). The other big stack will raise you with a pair + a flush draw, a set or a straight-flush draw. The only factor that justifies your push is that you min. raised pre-flop (bad choice, mind you) an no one re-raised. I suppose you can rule out the pocket K's, but not against a tricky player. You also really cannot rule out pocket Q's since QQ will often not re-raise, especially if they are in position. That said, I find it to be pretty unnecessary to push here since the stacks are so deep compared to the blinds. Why not come over the top of Player 2 and if HE pushes then you know you are probably beaten.