Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2002, 05:24 PM

Default How do you beat a game where 90% of people stay in?

And it doesnt matter it you raise or cap, they all stay in?
Old 11-01-2002, 06:03 PM

Default Re: How do you beat a game where 90% of people stay in?

If they are staying in all the way to the river, then loosen up a little bit and see the flop a fair amount of times (assuming its reasonably passive). If they are loose only pre-flop (and maybe if loose only pre-flop and on the flop), tighten up and, as always, make good post flop decisions. If you find yourself in these situations often, you might want to check out Lee Jones's book Winning Low Limit Holdem.

Pringle
Old 11-01-2002, 06:05 PM

Are they loose-passive or loose-aggressive?
Old 11-01-2002, 06:14 PM

I would categorize them as loose-passive.

Its just crzy though, they are mostly fish, but i had a nasty streak where for 2 hrs i did not win a single hand, even with A's, K's and other prime hands.

Example, i am in mid position. someone raises b4 me, i reraise, someone caps behind me, then some guy with 10 4 offsuit cold calls after him.

Ofcourse there was a 4 on flop, and another on river.

With 8-9 players, even with prime hands, you need alotta help on board to survive
Old 11-01-2002, 06:40 PM

Play good multiway hands like small pairs and suited connectors. When they hit you will likely rake huge pots.
Old 11-01-2002, 08:37 PM

Basically I'd play any pair, most suited connectors, and a few offsuit hands (AK, AQ, KQ)...

-- Homer
Old 11-01-2002, 10:30 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Basically I'd play any pair, most suited connectors, and a few offsuit hands (AK, AQ, KQ)...

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if there is very little betting preflop and on the flop (You could also add in suited Aces down to about AT or A9 if there isn't much betting.) If it's routinely capped preflop and/or on the flop, you'll want to stay away from the suited connectors below KQ. You'll end up paying too much to hit your draws. You can still play your pairs - if you don't hit a set on the flop, then fold.

Old 11-02-2002, 10:34 PM

Check out the Playing in Loose Games section in HPFAP, it is a little different than most other authors on loose games, and covers both loose aggressive(you want to play pairs, and big suited connectors) and loose passive( you want to play more draws) and keeping away from unsuited cards, which go down in value in the loose games. The most important thing to remember when playing in these type of games, you will often see huge swings, and many people get down after playing in them, you will not win many hands, but the ones you do win will be very large relative to normal type games, you will have big nights. I have, even recently played in loose games, won maybe 5 or 6 pots in the span of about 3-4 hours in a 3-6 kill game and still end up with a nicer than average profit(over $100) I attribute those winning sessions to being able to extract profit from winning hands, but also being able to get away from losing hands before I dump a lot of money chasing incorrectly.
Old 11-03-2002, 05:16 AM

You find a different game. That's your best option. If you want to play that game, I say you play loose preflop, and only bet/call/raise if you have a great hand on the flop/turn. Make sure you have so much of it, that you'll be payed off completely.
Old 11-03-2002, 05:25 AM

Why on earth would you want to find a different game? I drive 35 miles to play in games not nearly as good.