Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 11:45 AM

Default Re: morality of micro-rake on NL home game?

Do you have a cadre of regulars (people who show up half the time or more)? If you do, why don't you raise it with all of them and come to a consensus on how you regulars want to handle it. This could be the standard applied whoever is hosting the game from week to week. Newcomers and those who only show up once in a while shouldn't have a problem abiding by the sop.

Aside from the issue of whether a home game is even legal in your locality, I don't think you have an issue with taking $ out of each pot as a contribution for drinks and snacks. You're not raking to make a profit. As for the liquor liability concern, you can't protect yourself completely, but it will help if you don't actually serve anyone (let them serve themselves) and if you, as a group, make explicit efforts to encourage people to not overdrink or to cut people off. I think it will also help if you personally don't always buy all of the refreshments. Use the contributions or rake to give money to a person, on a rotating basis, responsible for bringing the beer/wine/spirits.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Re: DON\'T DO IT, IT\'S ILLEGAL!

and Wisconsin does not...drink up!
Old 02-01-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: obeythekitten

[ QUOTE ]
And just to show I'm a nice guy, here's a site with some info that you may find useful: http://www.gambling-law-us.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

this is exactly my point...i could give a flying [censored] if i'm breaking the law, thats why i asked about the morality or if there was a better way to go about it...if i wanted your response i would have asked "LEGALITY of raking a home game"
Old 02-01-2005, 07:00 PM

Default Re: morality of micro-rake on NL home game?

For goodness sake, don't rake a home game. There are plenty of other posts as to why.

My take is this: if your friends are too cheap to chip in a reasonable amount for food/drink, you need new friends.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:09 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: obeythekitten-Morality Vs Legality

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And just to show I'm a nice guy, here's a site with some info that you may find useful: http://www.gambling-law-us.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

this is exactly my point...i could give a flying [censored] if i'm breaking the law, thats why i asked about the morality or if there was a better way to go about it...if i wanted your response i would have asked "LEGALITY of raking a home game"

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually (not always, but usually) if something is illegal it can also be immoral (although there are plenty of laws that are legal that I feel are immoral, but forget that)

Anyway, excuse me for trying to help buddy. It's not immoral to try and recoup expenses. But some people may not want to pay for refreshments, and would rather bring their own and only have to pay for playing in the event.

I hold home games because I consider myself a good enough player that in the long run I'll make a profit off of others. Heck, is taking other peoples money via card playing "moral"? Way too grey an area for you to be asking about, imho