Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 03:35 AM

Default Implicit Association Test

This test was discussed in Malcolm Gladwell's book Blink and is available in the "Demonstration" section here. The test reveals unconscious attitudes and biases which can be quite different from the stated beliefs of the test-taker.

Of the tests available, the most well-known is the Race IAT. One surprising result: half of the 50,000 African Americans who took this test have a stronger association with whites than with blacks. Gladwell observes, "we live in North America, where we are surrounded every day by cultural message linking white with good."
Old 02-01-2005, 04:00 AM

Default Re: Implicit Association Test

[ QUOTE ]
This test was discussed in Malcolm Gladwell's book Blink and is available in the "Demonstration" section here. The test reveals unconscious attitudes and biases which can be quite different from the stated beliefs of the test-taker.

Of the tests available, the most well-known is the Race IAT. One surprising result: half of the 50,000 African Americans who took this test have a stronger association with whites than with blacks. Gladwell observes, "we live in North America, where we are surrounded every day by cultural message linking white with good."

[/ QUOTE ]

damnit, all that for a 'no preference' and 'inconclusive' test
Old 02-01-2005, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for European American relative to African American

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-01-2005, 04:40 AM

Mine was the same but they used the terms white and black.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:52 AM

I scored a moderate automatic preference for European American over African American (or white/black, I forget how the test phrased it). It disturbs me that I have these unconscious preferences even though I don't want to have them.

As a follow-up, I took the European-American/ Asian-American test and found that I have a moderate bias towards regarding European-Americans as more American than Asian-Americans. I'm a second-generation Korean-American.