Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2005, 07:18 PM

Default AQo from SB

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 3 handed) converter

BB ($32.45)
Button ($25.4)
Hero ($23.75)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $2</font>, Hero (poster) calls $1.75, BB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($6) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, BB calls $4, Button calls $4.

Turn: ($18) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, Button checks.

River: ($18) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB calls $26.45 (All-In), Button folds, Hero ?

This is a hand I played a few nights ago on Party 25$ 6max. I got scared when both opponents called the bet on the flop, so I checked the turn [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] .

Comments on all streets appreciated. I realized I played this hand very bad.

The BB in the hand has a VPIP of 68% and PFR 15% over 32 hands. The button has VPIP of 87% and PFR 33% over 40 hands.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Re: AQo from SB

I'll take the same line as you. Betting the turn P/C's you.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:57 PM

Looks fine, as long as you fold the river.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:03 PM

Why not reraise pre-flop? Surely you have the best hand 3-handed. Make it 6 to go pre-flop and then fire 6 at any flop.

Given the way you played this I fold the river.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:06 PM

You don't re-raise pre-flop because...

A) You don't want to be building a pot out of position
B) Because (as I learned today from Bobbofitos) you will be called by AK and AJ and lower will likely fold.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A) You don't want to be building a pot out of position

[/ QUOTE ]

Although this is a concern, I don't think it's that big of one in this 3-handed confrontation where you hold a very strong hand. I'm guessing that there is a lot of raising pre-flop in this game and I think you need to take a stand somewhere. This seems like a good spot.

[ QUOTE ]
B) Because (as I learned today from Bobbofitos) you will be called by AK and AJ and lower will likely fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think that it's 50/50 that you are either dominated or dominating when you are called. I like those chances. Also, I think other hands will call you here in this 3 handed game and I think you have good equity against these hands. KQs, small pocket pairs, etc. Axs may even call.

Again, I'm not an expert but I don't like your reasons for smooth calling pre-flop here. Maybe it's my limit thinking dominating my analysis but I like AQo in this spot and I'm willing to put some chips in the pot when I likely have much the best of it.

I'm certainly not going to be check/folding a lot of flops with this hand anyways - this is a spot that requires you to play poker IMO (if you don't want to get run over in this 3-handed game).

edit: Also, I don't know who Bobbofitos is, so no offense to him but referencing him doesn't convince me here. Referencing a thread may.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:18 PM

AJ isn't the only hand that will fold to a re-raise. Lots of hands that you have dominated will fold. You will win more when you flop an ace against these.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:24 PM

Just a note, the game is five handed. One open seat. The converter apparently dropped the two players who folded to the button.

I'm a beginner, but my reasoning for smooth calling here was, like tbach24 mentioned, to try not to build a big pot when I'm out of position. Although this ended up happening on the flop when I led on the monotone flop and to my suprise got two calls.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AJ isn't the only hand that will fold to a re-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you said that AJ would call the reraise?

[ QUOTE ]
Lots of hands that you have dominated will fold. You will win more when you flop an ace against these.

[/ QUOTE ]

I argue that lots of hands that you dominate will call your reraise here and that you will win more against them when you both flop an ace.

If a lot of hands are folding to your reraise in this spot then you should be reraising fairly liberally IMO. It will add up fast in a 3-handed game.

The fact is, your hand is by far the best hand the majority of the time in this spot - it simply has to be based on the mathematics of a 3-handed game. Because of this plus the fold equity plus the meta-game considerations of reraising I think it is clearly the best play here.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:30 PM

I don't think AJ will call a re-raise. I want to see what other posters think, as I am beginning to doubt myself. You do present a good argument.