Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2002, 01:52 PM

Default Question re Flop Check

As a few others have noted (but not the majority), I would have raised the flop.

As you note, there is a very good chance that the BB has nothing. I would also figure there is a good chance my hand is best, but very vulnerable. Therefore I would see the BB's bet as an ideal opportunity to protect my small pair. I would raise on the flop.

I am a newbie, so my question is why you didn't raise?

P.S. Given the action up to the river, it is very hard for me to imagine he would lay down a pair higher than 5s. So I would regard this as strictly a value raise. And it is too thin for me. I would check.

Old 10-30-2002, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Bellagio 15-30: Will a worse hand call my river bet?

I'd raise the turn. I liked everything else here, especially if you bet the river here as it went down.

J.A.Sucker
Old 10-30-2002, 06:49 PM

Default Results

I've got 5s5d.

The river is: Ts,Th,4s,2c,8d

My opponent checked after betting the flop and turn. I bet the river and was called. My 5's were good. My opponent didn't show his hand.

Old 10-30-2002, 06:55 PM

You are in a spot where a weaker hand might call, and a better hand might fold. I bet you never thought about it this way.

I did overlook the possibility of a better hand folding. I've spent a lot of the last month focusing on river play- especially value betting hands which I used to check because "no worse hands will call". Not only have I been making a lot more marginal river bets but I've been watching showdown hands to see where other players are passing them up when they would have gotten called for sure. I've seen so many instances of players calling with those worse hands "which won't call" that I have overlooked the possibility that better hands might fold.

However, I'm not so sure I like your turn call

I'm not so sure I like it either. However, the table did seem to be calling lots of ragged flops with what had to be overcards. I was out of there if anybody raised on the turn.

Old 10-30-2002, 06:58 PM

Do you want me to raise pre-flop with 55 with three players defending posted blinds? This is definitely a pre-flop limp. Both raising and folding are far worse options.

Old 10-30-2002, 07:00 PM

My play of unimproved pocket pairs 22-99 may be the worst part of my post-flop game. I never seem to play them with the appropriate aggression.

Old 10-30-2002, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Question re Flop Check

I am a newbie, so my question is why you didn't raise?

I made a mistake.

Old 10-30-2002, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Results

those 5's seem to work well for you...just like when you rivered your set against me. LOL.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Results

That's great that you squeezed out a thin value bet in this spot. One thing you might want to think about though is what your opponent's call says about your image. Do you want your opponents to be routinely calling you down with such weak holdings. It's good that your aggressive image earns you alot of extra calls but on the other hand it makes it very hard for you to steal pots, which can also be very profitable.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:51 PM

That's your opinion. Never ever open limp from middle position. It's either a fold or a raise. You raise here because you have a chance to knock one of the posters off preflop and take control of the game. Aggression is the name of the game. By the way, if you can't handle constructive critisism from other players, don't post. This isn't an ego forum.

PokerPrince