Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Turbo Texas Holdem

I've recently found out about this program, and I probably would have it by now if it weren't $90. Is it worth all that money ? To anyone who has it... has it improved your play at all ? I'd just like to get some more information on it before I go ahead and invest in something like that.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Turbo Texas Holdem

It's really good for new players. I purchased it after losing my initial $50 I put into an online site. I played TTHE for about a month until I was competitive with the advisor. I also got the Sidewinder Sid analyzer...annoying, but useful.

The next time I put in $50 I did well and I've never had to reload again. Now, I've come to see that the TTHE advisor is a bit loose and perhaps too aggressive. It's good about understanding position, but not as good about understanding position based on the number of people in the pot. I also think it's overly aggressive with overcards and 2nd-best pocket pairs (like QQ when an Ace falls on the flop). In low limit, many people stay with ANY ace and so second best pockets and AK that doesn't hit really aren't worth betting very often. Well, again, depends on the number of people in the hand, but TTHE doesn't really consider how you bet a missed AK when you have 2 people vs 6 people in the hand.

It's very valuable for running simulations. Knowing a bit more now I'm finally using that feature. I'm too loose (22% VPIP), but I wasn't sure what to cut from my hands. I used TTHE to run zillions of simulated hands and see what the EV values were and then went in and modified the profiles to cut some of the poor values from earlier positions, ran again, repeat, etc.

It's a nice tool and I'm sure it's given me back way more than the $90 I spent to purchase it.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:23 PM

I don't want to diss TTHE (although personally I think it's bad) but just make sure you download the demo at the very least...from that you should be able to see if you like the feel of it or not. Just the interface/looks alone are enough to put anyone off in my opinion, and the other features struggle to make up for it.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to diss TTHE (although personally I think it's bad) but...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to diss JackWilson (Stranger, Posts:2) but why would anyone put any credence in this comment? Sounds like axe grinding by either a new poster or more likely an existing poster using a false identity (Bob wilson, I believe, is the designer of TTHE).

Not much opinion on the program, I bought it but have had little time to play with it. However, the first poster's comments appear appropriate based on what I've seen so far. I have noticed that the "advice" feature allows several hands to be played that SSHE doesn't.

One other advantage not specifically mentioned by the first poster is that, for practice, it HUGELY beats live play timing-wise. You can take all the time you want for your decision, even to spending a half-hour researching an issue, then whizz through the other players decisions, and when you're out of the hand you can peek at the cards everybody held and then fast-forward to the start of the next hand.

The simulation capabilites are the main thing I bought it for, I had several recommendations from people who have used it a lot, but I believe that aspect will take some time and prior poker knowledge to utilize effectively.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:05 PM

TTH was a very valuable tool for me and is at least 50% of the reason I am a winning player. But I think some adjustments need to be made.

Based upon what we now know about offsuit hands in the real world (they suck, and horribly), for full-game ring play I would counsel not following TTH's advice with respect to offsuit cards except for perhaps the Broadway hands (both cards ten or larger). I suppose you could make an exception for two cases: T9 and 98, and RFIP of certain hands. TTH's recommendtations regarding both situations are sound.

To offset playing fewer offsuit hands, you could play more suited hands in MP3 and late position, such as all Axs and most Kxs (but down to K2s on the button, and even hands like Q6s in really good loose games). The best thing would be to read SSH and adjust accordingly.

TTH is very good about advising you to play your hands very aggressively, but sometimes even it does not go far enough. At the very least, though, it will drill into your head the concept of aggressive play. Then if you pick up SSH and understand it, you can learn how to become even more aggressive, but properly so.

All in all, it's a very valuable tool if you want to be a winning player at the 3/6 level and above. $90 isn't even a good buy in at that level. Also, though, I want to get Poki Poker Academy and compare and contrast. Based upon what I have read, I still think TTH is a better training tool for general play, but Poki is better for learning short-handed and heads-up play.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:06 PM

memphis57 - what does the number of posts i have on this forum have to do with my opinion on TTHE? Seriously? The only requirement for replying to this thread is having used TTHE.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:26 AM

I got it a while ago and really enjoyed it. It had also been helpful since I got PokerTracker. Since I can set up simulations with cards I am not doing well with or stack the table with types of players I am struggling against, and just run tons of hands. Overall I think it’s a useful tool, the tournament one isn’t bad either, just for running tons of MTTs and working on stack management and different styles of play you are trying to incorporate.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:10 AM

I've been using it for a few months now and like it. I haven't gotten the addition Sid software but its been recommended by friends that its worth it. I play the tourny edition more lately though.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:49 PM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...mp;sb=5&o= check this out.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've recently found out about this program, and I probably would have it by now if it weren't $90. Is it worth all that money ? To anyone who has it... has it improved your play at all ? I'd just like to get some more information on it before I go ahead and invest in something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recall reading Mason Malmuth's thoughts on it and they weren't good. I couldn't find that but I did find this comment:

Mason Doesn't Like TTH

As I recall his beef is primarily with the advisor and that the "expert" setting is not actually expert play...although I could be wrong about that.

--Zetack