Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2005, 12:36 AM

Default Easy flush draw release?

No real reads, only been at the table for one orbit. MP3 has only been in one hand where he called down w/TPTK on a not too scary board, so my intuition says passive....

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

The cold call on the flop is open to debate, but I figured with position and the callers it was okay.

Flop: (12.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+2 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, CO folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

I definately wanted to bet the flop when it was checked around to me, since the worst case scenario would be to let someone turn their pocket pair into a full house for free. However, the check raise was a little unexpected. Then, the turn double-pairs the board. The pot isn't huge and I can't justify paying a BB to take one off. Granted, if I were MP3 and had JJ or QQ I wouldn't mind raising this flop (but I definately wouldn't risk letting it check through), so the check-raise seems to suggest at least one K. Anyone feel this thinking is too weak?
Old 01-30-2005, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Easy flush draw release?

[ QUOTE ]
The cold call on the flop is open to debate, but I figured with position and the callers it was okay.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't.

I think it's a bad coldcall largely due to your relative position to the PFR. Add in not-quite-enough limpers preflop, and it should be a pretty easy muck preflop.

I don't know how much room for debate -- I've seen worse coldcalls, but calling with 22 would be far far far better than calling with A6s here. You're looking at 5.25:1, so in order to make this a profitable call you're going to have to make up a ton of bets postflop.

Anyway, onto the flop, standard, and turn, standard. This is really easy to play postflop.

Rob
Old 01-30-2005, 12:46 AM

I missed that you coldcalled, coldcalling with sml aces is bad, they are likely to be dominated, so you need a nice multiway pot, with 3limpers its kinda close in my mind, I prob fold here, but I don't think its a really bad call, you don't have good position as entity said relative to the PFR

flop and turn were good
Old 01-30-2005, 12:49 AM

Rob-

Thanks for the response, this is probably a leak in my game that could use some attention. Could you (or anyone else) please clarify one thing for me in your response, though? How is it to my advantage to act before the PFR? Where would I rather be, and why?

Thanks and I apologize for my ignorance.

Andy
Old 01-30-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rob-

Thanks for the response, this is probably a leak in my game that could use some attention. Could you please clarify one thing for me in your response, though? How is it to my advantage to act before the PFR? Where would I rather be, and why?

Thanks and I apologize for my ignorance.

Andy

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, my cutoff for suited aces in this situation is 4 coldcallers and ATs. I think I could probably get away with A8s if the raiser was known for raising light. If there are lots of coldcallers (like everyone) and the raiser is from UTG, I'll coldcall with pretty much any suited Ace, but in those scenarios, you have to be very careful postflop.

And here's the ideal position:

UTG raises. You are on the Button with Mr. SuitedAce. 4 people coldcall. You fling in some chips and say let's gamble. Why do we like this position? Well, let's run over two potential flops with your hand here.

Flop K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

UTG bets. UTG+1 calls. UTG+2 calls. MP1 calls. MP2 folds. You raise for value. UTG looks confused, and calls, as does everyone else. Sometimes UTG 3-bets, but now the pot is huge, and everyone likes to call in a huge pot, and you, well, you like capping in huge pots. So you cap.

Now, let's look at scenario two:

4 limpers, and CO raises. You call with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Flop K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Everyone checks to the CO, who bets. If you raise, now everyone in EP is confronted with two bets. And sometimes they call, but not as often as before. So you collect less bets from the people who are hopeless, and get less return from your investment.

I hope this makes sense. Understanding the value of relative position in raised pots is a very very very important thing.

Rob
Old 01-30-2005, 01:08 AM

Yes, this makes perfect sense. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2005, 02:34 AM

I 3-bet this flop and possibly steal a free card on the turn. Good fold anyway.