Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2005, 10:11 PM

Default when to slowdown with a big pair against another pair?

About 4 laps on table so far. I haven't seen Villian in a pot at all yet.Nothing in pokertracker on him. So, my read is he is pretty tight. I don't know where to draw the line between vastly overplaying and vastly underplaying big pair. I've done both.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

River: (12.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
Old 01-30-2005, 12:17 AM

Default Re: when to slowdown with a big pair against another pair?

With UTG hanging around, I think 3-betting the flop and/or leading the turn might be good. Actually, I think going for a checkraise on the flop is something to seriously consider. It would be nice to get this heads up, if at all possible.

However, the apparent tightness of MP1, combined with his preflop cap, is a legitimate concern. So I don't think you should get too carried away.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know where to draw the line between vastly overplaying and vastly underplaying big pair. I've done both.

[/ QUOTE ]

So have I.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:24 AM

I prefer to vastly overplay them. Most of the time that works out on Party. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

But seriously...assuming that MP1 really is a tight player &amp; he isn't just getting some crap hands, the only hand I can think of that he plays this way which you beat is A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I think you did a good job of losing the minimum while being out of position on this hand.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:54 AM

villain had 10 10 and MHIG.