Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2005, 05:57 PM

Default KK in huge pot

SB and UTG are very loose and both seem to be rather passive. UTG+1 is slightly LAG, by no means a maniac, just plays a few to many hands.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, SB calls, UTG calls.

UTG+1's cap makes me think AA, QQ or maybe AK (KK not very likely). SB and UTG just call along...

Flop: (21 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, UTG calls.

UTG+1 caps again and makes me think AA. I figure UTG has at least a pair since he bet out and then called two cold. SB called 3 cold! Scary...

Turn: (18.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

Que? UTG+1 checks? QQ? I fear a CR but really don't want to give anyone a free look at the river so I bet. Good news is SB and UTG+1 folds, bad news is that UTG CR:s me. I figure I'm beaten but almost have odds to hit my 2-outer so I call.

River: (22.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Huge pot. I make a crying call. Should I just lay down here? I really don't think I'm good here, not even 1 in 24.5 times, but I could just not forgive myself if I would happen to lay down the best hand here.

Final Pot: 24.50 BB

Anyone plays this differently on any street? Wait for a safe turn to push it? I feel very insecure about my play in these big pots trying to protect a vulnerable holding that might already be beaten.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:04 PM

Default Re: KK in huge pot

I think you played this fine on every street. Don't even think about waiting for the turn with this sort of equity.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:09 PM

I was about to suggest you fold to the turn checkraise but you're actually almost getting proper odds to try and spike a K on the river.

That said I think I'd fold the river. I'm not one to advocate big folds for one bet on the river but UTG+1 capped preflop, capped the flop and then checkraised a turn A. I'd put him squarely on AA with a very outside possibility of AK, I don't think you're good 4% of the time here.

If I get berated for that advice then so be it, but I think I could find a fold here.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:17 PM

I think you misread a little. It was UTG who checkraised the turn while it was UTG+1 who capped preflop and flop.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:23 PM

Hm, yes I did. That doesn't change much, however...UTG called two more cold preflop, called a bunch of bets on a capped flop and the checkraised the turn. I think it's safe to assume you are beat.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:24 PM

I think that there is a 4% chance that this is a play for the pot.

Well played... Calling the river is fine.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hm, yes I did. That doesn't change much, however...

[/ QUOTE ]

That changes everything! If it was the preflop capper who checkraised the A, it's a fold, because he's likely drawing dead. With UTG raising the A, it means that the hero is probably still drawing live to the third King.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:35 PM

It doesn't change much in the context of my original post. I still think Hero should call the turn, and I still think Hero should fold the river.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:42 PM

After the preflop/flop action I'm inclined to check the turn and call one bet on the river. There is a strong possibility you were behind on the flop and the turn just makes things worse. If you're ahead it's likely each of your opponents only have 2 outs so a free card doesn't hurt you very much while a turn CR will make me want to yack.