Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Folding a lot at first

I am experimenting with playing ultra tight my first couple orbits at a table-- only playing big aces and big pairs. Hands that are not even close to being on the edge of playability. An example would be A8 or 66 on the hijack gets dumped.

The reasoning behind this is twofold: 1) I need some data on how my opponents play before I can play more marginal situations correctly and marginal hands more often than not put me in marginal situations. I can get that data very cheaply if I just sit there and fold and watch. 2) I do not start out a session down very often. It bums me out to sit down, lose a couple hands in a row and am down ten bets before I have seen the blinds again. I am more likely to make wrong decisions against players I have no data on, and so am more likely to be down a bunch at the beginning of a session if I am in there with marginal hands.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Folding a lot at first

Folding a lot at first

as opposed to later in the session when you only fold 88% of your hands [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2005, 04:12 PM

Some might advocate calling down a little more to start with... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2005, 06:12 PM

i'm going to go out on a limb and predict that your normal ultra tight style is probably sufficient
Old 01-29-2005, 06:24 PM

If you have a big enough BR wouldn't it be better to take the small EV+ chances?
Old 01-29-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am experimenting with playing ultra tight my first couple orbits at a table-- only playing big aces and big pairs. Hands that are not even close to being on the edge of playability. An example would be A8 or 66 on the hijack gets dumped.

[/ QUOTE ]

To tell you the truth I think this is a terrible idea. I tend to open raise a LOT from the CO and button early in a session to create a loose/maniacal image. If you even show down 1 or 2 trashish hands people won't want to give you credit for good hands later. They always remember the T8s you open-raised from the CO. The whole point of this is obviously to get lots of action for your big hands later.

Your idea really sounds counter-productive. Why do you want to limit the action other players give you? Of course, a lot of this depends on the limit and quality of competition you're playing...

jujujaja34
Old 01-29-2005, 06:37 PM

Isn't it better to have a TAG image so people will fold easier to a bet when you miss with your overcards?
Old 01-29-2005, 06:44 PM

depends on your style.

its an interesting idea. most of the posts we see are during the first couple of orbits.

stealthcow-
Old 01-29-2005, 06:54 PM

85% when I'm up-- I have this problem where I get looser if I have been winning.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't it better to have a TAG image so people will fold easier to a bet when you miss with your overcards?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll only speak for 5/10 short which is the limit I'm the most familiar with. Think about this...

Against these less perceptive and relatively poor players I want to play as many hands that are a neutral EV as possible. Examples would be open raising K7s in CO, raising T9s UTG, and raising Q8s in the CO. I find the more hands you play (raise), the more LAG/maniacal your image, the more bb/hand you win with your strong hands.

I suck at explaining all this stuff, but since I've switched from a 20/13 style to a more LAG style my results have improved dramatically.

jujujaja34