Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Great point...

This is also something to consider, although I'm sure it would take a lot of work to figure out. It would be interesting to see how your starting hands received compared to what would be expected through chance alone. Did you just get a bad run of cards? Or did some people draw out on you properly, because you gave a free or cheap card?

Although this might be too much programming work, it might be easier to simply keep track of loose or passive calls, hyperaggressive raises, or improper folds, based on the pot odds of each round.

Perhaps you could create a statistic that calculates the frequency of errors that Sklansky described in Getting the Best of It.

A function like this would be like the advisor function on Turbo Texas hold 'em, except it is based on real play (as opposed to computer opponents), as well as proper strategy.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Developing Software like PT - Any suggestions?

Maybe I will release my own software to the public, maybe I wont. Either way, my view of PokerTracker stands firm. Heck - the GUI locks up while importing hand histories! Ever heard of calling Yield()?
Old 01-29-2005, 07:48 PM

Well, I guess you'd call me dumb then, because I was and am dead serious. PokerTracker does not look, feel or act like good quality software.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just for clarification, that was not me... and I think Beach-Whale was being sarcastic... if not, just plain dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

PT seems to be written in VB, and uses Access as a database. I don't think the technical side of PT is much to admire.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:04 PM

Hey, I'm not saying it doesn't have flaws. I could rattle off a few dozen things I wish were better, but the fact remains that PT doesn't have any competition as far as HE goes.

If a two or three man team wanted to create a competing product, I'm sure they could in relatively short order, but it would take one person months to replicate the basic functionality that PT users now take for granted.