Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Why the short buy in?

[ QUOTE ]
not a lot of room to maneuver there. note that if he's called and hits a queen-high or ace-high flop, he's sitting well at under 5x the pot heads up.

matt

[/ QUOTE ]

care to expound on the positives and negatives of what you're alluding to?....

basically what I'm saying is there's one limper in already and Mason makes it $80 to go with a $900 stack with AQ in MP?....say the button, both blinds, and the limper call (making a pot of $400) and the flop comes down A87 with two diamonds.....tough decisions would loom and I just think there's a much more effecient way of playing a 45xBB stack....again, I have no problem with his postflop play (it's a textbook small-pot heads-up line) - which is why I originally said I thought his whole line was perfect for someone with $9000 instead of $900......with a ~$700 pot on the river with ~$700 left behind, it's hard to call it a small pot......

subquestion, what would he have raised to with AA or KK?.....
Old 01-28-2005, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Hand to Talk About

Most people don't bet huge amounts into small pots even with a monster. Generally it is not good poker unless you are against an opponent who loves to snap off what he thinks are big bluffs which I doubt Mason qualifies in.

So his play of managing the pot was reasonable as giving a free card with a pair of aces is not too dangerous and he likely snapped off a bluff on the end or paid off trips without having to call a big bet.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:31 PM

It's obvious that a short stack > than a medium stack in many situations, but can a short stack ever be better than a big (300bb+ by my definition) in any situation other than where most of the table is short stacked or where there are several very tough players with deep stacks?
Old 01-28-2005, 09:45 PM

Mason, why is this hand posted? There's nothing terribly interesting or out of the ordinary about it. Hands are always fun to discuss, but this was the best one you could come up with?

If it really matters...I'd probably check behind on the flop. Villain limped up front with some pair, so we're drawing to at best 6 outs - why bet there when you're fairly sure you're behind?

I think you either lost this hand, or Villain played it really poorly. I would put him on a pair preflop - probably 55-99. If he had 77 or 88, then that is a flop where most good players would lead into the raiser when out of position, yet he did not... So, that leads me to think he has 99 or 55. His line looks a lot like a big hand to me. He may have been planning to lead the turn until the Ace hit, and then he checked because he thought you would bet it for him. His bet on the river was for value.

Or maybe he just sucks.

I don't rule out 77 here either.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:12 PM

like i said, unless there are megafish. ;-)

did you know glenmorangie goes for about $2K a bottle in my household?

matt
Old 01-28-2005, 10:14 PM

postflop he's within the range of easy commitment decisions. note if he has 100BB behind and flops a queen that is not the case.

matt
Old 01-28-2005, 10:23 PM

Does no one else consider folding the river?
Old 01-28-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
felson that is interesting that he says that. when i played a lot of HU SNGs i got intot he habit of half potting it a good amoutn of the time, seemed to work well for me, and give me problems when my opponents did it.

[/ QUOTE ]
But you don't tend to do this in full ring games? Can you explain exactly why this tactic is more appropriate in HU SNGs? Is it due to the HU nature of the game, the tournament aspect, or both? I am very interested. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:29 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 01-28-2005, 10:33 PM

Read my post.