Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2005, 04:07 AM

Default Re: Online poker pros have a 0% chance of having a losing month..

Sure it's going to suck if you have 5K in expenses and only made 3k profit for the month but it is still a winning month.

My post wasn't in regards to being able to live off of your winnings merely it would be very difficult for a pro player to sustain a loss over a one month period.

4 tables of 210 hands an hour at a 40 hour week (going with 50 weeks in a year) equals 35,000 hands in a month. (this still seems kind of low to me for a player who's sole income is online poker)

A winning online player would be hard pressed to hit a streak of 35,000 hands were he is at a loss. If he did manage to get into the negative rakebacks would most likely pop him back up into the positive, therefore it's a winning month.

Has anyone who plays 35,000 hands minimum a month had a losing month, including the rakeback? Or take it a step further has anyone had a 35k hand strech where they were in the negative includiong rakeback bonuses?

Dogmeat:

As far as it being difficult to find the time to put that many hours in playing poker, it shouldn't be if you are a pro and poker is your only source of income. Most people work 40 hours a week or more plus travel time.

If you have $5000 in expenses but only made $3000 that month playing poker your $2000 in the hole for that month.
So what? What about the months where you have made $10000 or $12000 and had a surplus of $5000-$7000.

Looking at it month to month seems kind of narrow minded to me. I was self-employed for numerous years in an industry where I always lost money in every one of my 3 stores every May and June. It was the way the industry worked.

It was never a tough 2 month to deal with because you have to look at the bigger picture. The total for the year is all that mattered.

BTW I am not in college, I have a morgatge, car leases etc. and a fiance who shops to much.

Anyways can anyone point out a stretch of 35k hands where they have lost money, Including rakebacks? No one has yet.

Anyways I'm not trying to be arguementative, just trying to stir up a discussion
Old 01-28-2005, 08:48 AM

I got OWNED in December, but I did take a long break that same month. So, who knows how it could have turned out.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:33 PM

Well, i don't know about the specifics in your post, but your general point is no doubt valid i.e. a proven winner is much less likely to have a losing month online than in B&M.

My sessions won percentage is way way higher online than in B&M. So, one can extend your general point to say that a winning player is much less likely to have a losing session online than in B&M play.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:35 PM

This month is my losing month. I am running so bad I can barely play.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
other than the fact that I've tightened up (because 3/6 has become a pit for multiing TAGs)

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that pretty much all it takes? Hands make less because there are fewer fish paying them off.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:31 PM

Yeah, I'm just hoping that my win rate hasn't restabilized at half its formerness.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:27 PM

Default disagree

what if ur a high limit player in the 100-200 game, those guys swing g's all the time and the players there are better, but if u multitable the lower limit games then it gets real hard to have a losing month
Old 01-28-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-28-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm with you on this one Buster... I've got a limp the cards have hurt so much this month. Confidence--shaken. Stomach--acid reflux. Level of play--tilty. Ack.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm with you on this one Buster... I've got a limp the cards have hurt so much this month. Confidence--shaken. Stomach--acid reflux. Level of play--tilty. Ack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, only the true bad-runner could know these symptoms. I'm half-convinced I have been lucky this far.