Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: I\'m in Denmark...

Man, I had the same problem in Japan/Korea with running the power in hotels....you gotta use the plastic piece on the room key ring and insert it in a slot near the front door to activate the power in the room. That took me about 30 min to figure out.....lol.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You respond with an offensive post, offensive to really anyone who is not swept up in political hate bordering on dementia.

Someone disagreeing with you isn't offensive. Jesus christ, get a grip and turn down the talk radio.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well when someone says that the President of the United States is more dangerous than a mass murderer, I find that offensive. Don't you see why?
Old 01-28-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man, I had the same problem in Japan/Korea with running the power in hotels....you gotta use the plastic piece on the room key ring and insert it in a slot near the front door to activate the power in the room. That took me about 30 min to figure out.....lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite was when I was in Paris. The hall lights of the hotel were timed to go out about ten seconds after you hit the button. The problem was my room was 20 seconds away from the button [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2005, 02:29 PM

Did you read his post? He said that in the long run, the President of the United States has a greater power to affect harm the world than Osama Bin Laden.

Unless we've decided that terrorism is the only way someone can be hurt, I think it's stupid to argue with that point. Of course, you can say that every 20th century US prez was potentially more hazardous than OBL. I don't think that's offensive. I think that's common sense.

Anyhoo, this is a hold'em forum, if you want we can continue this argument in Other Topics.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you read his post? He said that in the long run, the President of the United States has a greater power to affect harm the world than Osama Bin Laden.

Unless we've decided that terrorism is the only way someone can be hurt, I think it's stupid to argue with that point. Of course, you can say that every 20th century US prez was potentially more hazardous than OBL. I don't think that's offensive. I think that's common sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did read his post, that is why I responded to it. Here is what he said, word for word.

George W Bush is a hazard to the world. Much more dangerous than Usama ever will be considering the great impact on the world a US president has.

I think I will let others decide what is meant by that quote. Certainly they don't need me or you to interpret it.

I have no interest in getting in a pissing match. I don't go to "Other topics" forums for that reason. The only reason i responded to the original post was because this is the Hold'em forum, and it seems some people just can't help themselves but to bash America or the president even in the poker forums.

I just think that people should be more respectful when they come on an American forum and insult this country all the time. Do you doubt that there are people on these boards who were personally affected by 9/11 and Bin Laden?
Old 01-28-2005, 04:29 PM

No, I imagine with the large number of Americans, New Yorkers, Washingtonians, people who work in finance and so on on the boards that quite a few people were personally affected by 9/11. I don't doubt it.

But this isn't an American board. This is a poker board on the internet.

There's no simple moral calculus I want to get into to compare the deaths of over 3000 people in planned acts of terrorism to the short and long-term consequences of George Bush's policies, but there's nothing in attempting such a comparison that is inherently offensive or disrespectful.

It simply makes explicit the moral comparisons we make between different powerful public figures. Which is worse: Clinton's inaction in the face of genocide in Rwanda; Bush's poorly planned and executed war/occupation in Iraq; or Bin Laden's supervision of a plot that killed thousands and his continued advocacy of terrorism and "holy war"?

It's a legitimate question.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:36 PM

wtf is this crap? I've been drinking legally for four hours, i won 200 bucks in blackjack, and eveyrryone is talking about politics!!! let's make fun of european power outlets for chrits's stake
Old 01-28-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It simply makes explicit the moral comparisons we make between different powerful public figures. Which is worse: Clinton's inaction in the face of genocide in Rwanda; Bush's poorly planned and executed war/occupation in Iraq; or Bin Laden's supervision of a plot that killed thousands and his continued advocacy of terrorism and "holy war"?

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is nearly everyone agrees with your two points about Clinton and Bin Laden, but less than half of america agrees with you about Bush's actions in Iraq.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf is this crap? I've been drinking legally for four hours, i won 200 bucks in blackjack, and eveyrryone is talking about politics!!! let's make fun of european power outlets for chrits's stake

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, i am with you Augie! I bet you are having a blast! My travels in Europe have been among the most enjoyable and memorable times in my life. The differences and even difficulties in travel are often the most memorable.

What are you drinking? Tuborg? Carlsberg? Hey, are you the guy that was worried about going over for the tourney?
Old 01-28-2005, 05:45 PM

Actually that's not his problem at all. Do you see why?