Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Question on table image

Lately I've been thinking about my live-play table image and wondering what I could do to make it better, or at least adjust my play to accomodate the image.

Here's the gist of things:

I'm twenty years old and play in a private $5/10 game. I found the game through the internet and just showed up one night and started playing. Most of the regulars here all know each other. For the most part, they're all middle-age working men who play recreationally. They talk, laugh, joke, and have an all around good time but they're lousy poker players. Needless to say, the game has been a great source of profit.

Being the young man that I am, I find that I live little in common with most of these gentlemen. I show up, play poker, and mind my own business. However, it is not my intention to seem cold and uninterested. I'm simply queit by nature. Even around my close friends I usually don't talk much. When I DO talk, I have no interest in discussing sports, business, or politics ... common poker table talk.

Sometimes they'll say things to me like, "Stop doing that!" or "Go home!" in a teasing sort of way when I scoop in a huge pot, to which I just kind of grin and say, "Sorry." Or when I leave they'll say, "He's met his quota for the night"

On the whole, I guess they respect/fear my play, but still view me as an outsider... which I am, I guess.

THEIR probable perception: One of them young hotshot internet players who fancies himself a shark in a pool of minnows. Why are we giving this kid our money, anyway?

My self-perception: Young, mild mannered, and eager to play poker wherever I can find a game. Trying to reach harmony with zen, so says little but listens a lot. Plays more for the money than the "gamble" but views opponents as human beings, not ATM machines or fish.

My question is, how do I use that image to my advantage? I just want to sit queitly and play poker, without seeming like a jerk. I know my attempts at polite conversation seem forced and fake, so I usually don't bother to try. Any advice?
Old 01-28-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Question on table image

[ QUOTE ]
Views opponents as human beings, not ATM machines or fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was your first mistake.

No, seriously, I don't think you have much of a problem. They still let you play, they hardly seem to be adjusting their game to meet yours, I suspect they have no problem with you at all. Many old-timers barely even suspect that poker can be beaten, since they've spent their whole poker career haphazardly dropping their money at the table. They know you're better but it doesn't really register, they'll never do the math and realize how much you're actually taking off the table. I'm not trying to be contemptuous of them, just realistic.

If you want a bit more acceptance, just make sure you know most people's names, and they know yours. You seem like the kind of person who's interested in others, so just ask what they do for a living and then get 'em to tell a few stories. They'll feel more connected and you won't really have to say much. Works for me.

Edit: in terms of specific poker advice...just keep playing tight-aggressive. They'll still pay you off often enough but you don't want them to start taking shots at you. Keep 'em loose-passive.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:33 PM

Wear a Grateful Dead t-shirt next time [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2005, 05:19 PM

Try winning slower to win more. You know you can remove money at will from this game. Take it one step further.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:26 PM

I dig that advice, lol. And I agree with what Hem said about asking questions. Questions imply a lot. They imply genuine interest when small talk appears more like you're uncomfortable and would rather have their money without their presence. Like talking is a chore or homework assignment. If they're middle aged guys, find out if they have kids. They might be around your age. When they tell you to "stop doing that" tell them to quit giving you their money, as a joke, of course.

I've found it helpful to find out why my opponents play poker. These guys probably find it challenging and thrilling. I gab all night about how excited I was when this happened or that. They will probably share your amusement, even if you are making it up. Just don't give too much information. And find out for yourself if it is better for them to think of you as a brain or a lucky dud.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:31 PM

I play a majority of my games at Foxwoods and I play all sorts of hours on all sorts of days as I'm self-employed, so I'm constantly running into new people (at the same time as running into some people over and over again, those guys who are there 50-70 hours per week). I'm likewise young (30, but I get carded enough that it's annoying), and lots of these people ARE senior citizens and do talk about things that I couldn't care less about. Oh, sure, I'll talk up politics 'til the cows come home but when it comes to some "senior issues" -- whatever -- but I have parents and I know these things so I can at least talk about stuff.

I think you're best bet since these are random middle-aged men is to just be yourself and, if possible, throw in the occasional joke from time to time. I'm constantly joking around with people as it keeps the mood light and keeps me focused as I spend most of my time otherwise folding.

It will never hurt to be friendly and jovial at your game. For more on "poker image," check out "On the Edge" vol. 2 in the March issue of the 2+2 internet magazine.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 01-28-2005, 05:53 PM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
/M
Old 01-28-2005, 06:54 PM

Do not hesitate to compliment others on their play. It will go a long way for your image.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:02 PM

Thanks for the input, everyone. Maybe there wasn't a whole lot to worry about. I'll work on the occasional joke and compliment, but otherwise stay my queit old self and not worry too much about it. And I'm sure as I grow older it will be easier to fit in ... thanks again!