Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2005, 09:49 AM

Default Scary Board - Do I ever bet?

Live game 1/2NL im on BB with Q9 off. I have only seen about 3 rotations. I have $120, villian (UTG) has about $80 and has made good sized bets at 10-12 pots so far and has seen most flops. He's not very good and my general read is he seems like a total fish. 5 people see the flop - $10 in pot, QJ9 rainbow. SB checks I start to think what I should do but before I can act the villian leads at pot for $15, everyone else quickly mucks. Dealer din't really realize what had happened and I just raise to $35, trying to charge him if he's on the draw or has the Q with a weak kicker which is what I suspect he has. He looks genuinely nervous and calls. Turn brings T completing rainbow. He checks fast and looks to be just as scared of the board as I am. I check. River is a blank, he checks. I this point I still think I have the best hand.

Do I ever bet this river?
Old 01-27-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Scary Board - Do I ever bet?

It depends. I honestly can't think of anything you have beat that calls, but didn't raise preflop. Maybe AQ? KQ has you beat, as does QJ, and I don't see someone playing the flop with Q8 or lower UTG.

The only thing is, Villian may have flopped a set of 9's, and is now afraid of the straight, and a bet may induce a fold.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:46 PM

A scary board to you might be just as scary to your opponant. Just a thought..
Old 01-28-2005, 02:37 PM

He was really fishy. I don't think he was thinking to hard about what I had. I truely felt I had him beat and he would have called with any queen with a weak card. (remember he was playing almost every hand) My question is if I feel I'm ahead, with a board that scary, should I bet it? Am I leaving money on the table by checking that to be safe?