Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Preflop pushes: standard or stupid?

Flat call ? Absolutely not - you FOLD. Its not that great a hand that you can't get away from it..
Old 01-28-2005, 11:26 AM

I think he was commenting on the fact that he didn't raise initially. Some people like to raise TT UTG.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:41 AM

Edge, if you want other opinions, I have one. I just don't like the way you played either hand, honestly. I've been playing really tight preflop and it's been working for me the past few days.

I might have called SB reraise to $6.5 but when the button decided to push for $10 , I would definitely think that I'm beat by one of these guys. I'd probably end up folding to the $10 push by the button if I was the one playing. I definitely wouldn't have pushed for $93. Regardless of what you were trying to do, ask yourself this question . Is your A K really worth $93 ??? To me, AK is a drawing hand. If I miss the flop, I'm either making one pot sized bluff on the flop with it and folding on the turn if I miss or just plain folding to any bet on the flop if I miss.

Hand 2) TT isn't that good. I limp with TT in a full ring and hope to hit a set or have no overcards show up. BTW , I fold to the $10 raise preflop. Geez, that's 10 x blind raise. I only call that if I have QQ or better.

I get the feeling that maybe you are getting frustrated sitting there and watching your money go nowhere. I know the feeling. I had it tonight. I closed the application and did something else and then came back when I felt more in control. You need to feel grounded in your thinking and not get carried away that you have the best hand because you may not. I hit a full house the other night on the river but it wasn't good enough to win. Someone else had a better one. I lost a ton of money to it. Good decisions make future decisions easier because you don't feel like you are always trying to play catch up with your bankroll. Folding correctly helps you to make good decisions later and prevents frustration.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:43 PM

Fold equity and pot equity is a term you'll learn about in the coming months.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:20 PM

Yeah, I agree that I messed up hand 2. I usually raise TT UTG in 6-max; not sure what I was doing there. That would have made the hand much easier to play, as I could have folded or smoothcalled if the other guy reraised.

I lost both hands, as you can tell by the final boards, but I'm playing very strangely as of late. It could just be variance, but I'm not really paying much attention anymore. I may switch over to 5/10 short for a while to see if I can wake up.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:51 PM

Not a fan of the first hand. The only people who usually call that all-in are people who already have you beat (AA or KK) or a hand you have a coinflip against (QQ, JJ)...I know it's party poker but still, more often than not, that is the case. Not worth it to put all that money out there when it's a 50-50 at best...and that's only against 1 other hand. 3 handed...forget about it.

I would have made a large raise before the flop, and if no one pushed then I would have seen the flop before I made any other moves. Against 1 push before the flop, maybe I call depending on my read on the player...if there's possibly 2 pushes, then I'm outta there.

And yeah, the 2nd hand was bad.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:02 PM

Both are pretty horrendous. The good thing about AK is that theoretically you win a lot with it, but lose very little. Pushing with it while mathetmatically is decent here, is probably not optimal as you can definitely get better spots to get your money in with. If you are patient at these PP NL tables you are going to have someone bet a bunch at you when you are holding the nuts.

As for the TT facing a raise and a re-raise I think discretion has to be the better part of valor. It's a good hand, but 2 other people really appear to like their hand as well and you are either WAY behind to JJ QQ KK or AA or a very slight favorite to overcards.