Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2005, 12:44 AM

Default Don\'t let a pansy play AJs

UTG is 16/7/3.5 over 100 hands.

Please tell me how much of a pansy I was on this hand, because I need to hear it.

As an alternative (or in addition) feel free to elaborate on my idiocy.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Pansy is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Pansy completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Pansy checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, Pansy calls, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, Pansy calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Pansy checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Pansy raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Pansy calls.

River: (12 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Pansy bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Pansy calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB

-web
Old 01-28-2005, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Don\'t let a pansy play AJs

raise preflop. bet the flop. the whole hand goes differently.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:01 AM

I agree...raise pf.

Assuming you were going for a flop c/r. If you are going to lead the river, you are better off 4-betting the turn and leading the flop. When you get 3-bet on the turn, leading the river is bad, as you are somehow behind to 66 or A6, or A2.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:34 AM

agree with other posters. this is one of those hands where it is crucial to think about what he thinks you have, rather than obsess over what he might have. your flop play screams "not an Ace", as you intended it to. but everything he does after that is consistent with somebody trying to push you off your bluff. the guy could have middle pair, he could have 72o for all you know. he's focused on making you pay for sticking around. take control earlier, show strength, and you'll have a lot easier time reading him and making your own decisions.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:50 AM

Whats the problem, I dont think you would have gotten any more from this guy had you been the aggressor. Sometimes its not always bad to let them being the aggressor for you. While your PF call is bad, it might have created deception.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:10 AM

Im not sure what the problem is. Is it that you dont think that you got enough money in? Cause if you are going to use his stats as a read then you have to have him as "not an idiot." You gotta give him credit for at least an ace at some point.

You should have raise PF of course, however in this particular case you would have won less as a result (assuming you won this).
Old 01-28-2005, 03:47 AM

given the 16% VPIP, i would say he could have 66, ATo, A9s, or A8s, 3 of which you are beating. I think he would raise ATs from UTG but that is also a possibility. I just don't see him playing A6s or A2s from UTG.

I like how you played it after the preflop fiasco of not raising. But as was already said, in this instance, it looks like that non-raise might have paid off for you.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:58 AM

I'd say 66. Sure as hell looks like it.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:30 AM

Yah. Generally any raiser has a flopped full house in my experience.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:38 AM

This is interesting, can you please explain why you decided to call a turn 3 bet and then lead the river? I am having a hard time understanding why you think you played this hand like a "pansy". Is it because you din't cap the turn and the river?

P.S Raise PF