Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2005, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Realizing Your Own Leaks

[ QUOTE ]
Leak #2: I try to call too many bluffs on the flop and turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy cow has this been killing me in the past few weeks. When I read a guy for second or third pair or top pair weak kicker, I will bet to make him fold. Of course he doesn't.

My read is right. My action is right. The situation is wrong. I just forget that folding is not in some people's head when they have a piece of the board. But instead of using this to my advantage, I have just been banging my head against a wall.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:34 AM

I think one of my leaks might be folding too much with middle pair once someone bets. For example, if I have QJ and the flop comes 4QA and a player bets, I usually fold. I'm not saying folding isn't correct sometimes - but I think this play is letting agressive opponents bluff me out of a lot of pots where I'm actually in the lead. I need to work on playing hands where I only partially hit the flop - I tend to assume the worst when it comes to putting my opponents on a hand, which I think leads me to play too weak tight sometimes. If anyone has any good advice on this subject I'd love to hear it!
Old 01-27-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if this is true for SnGs where you are lucky to have 10xBB when it gets down to 3-4 handed. When I have less than 10xBB I'm very happy to make a call that puts me allin with a small edge. It's much better than waiting around and getting allin as a large dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong because there is a huge difference between calling an all-in anad raising all-in, assuming you have some sort of fold equity.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think one of my leaks might be folding too much with middle pair once someone bets. For example, if I have QJ and the flop comes 4QA and a player bets, I usually fold. I'm not saying folding isn't correct sometimes - but I think this play is letting agressive opponents bluff me out of a lot of pots where I'm actually in the lead. I need to work on playing hands where I only partially hit the flop - I tend to assume the worst when it comes to putting my opponents on a hand, which I think leads me to play too weak tight sometimes. If anyone has any good advice on this subject I'd love to hear it!

[/ QUOTE ]

This use to be a big leak in my game too, and is still something I am working on. If you notice an aggressive player always pot-betting after being checked to on the flop, use it to your advantage later. In your example, if I am out-of-position with JQ and the aggressive player has limped regularly in late position, I will check to him with the intention of calling. I then check again, and I find a great majority of the time that they check behind. If this is too passive, there is nothing wrong with check/raising here as you will know where you are at in a quicker fashion than check/calling.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:51 PM

I have a related problem. When I'm the aggressor pre-flop, I practically ALWAYS make a big continuation bet or raise weak bets unless the flop is something that looks like it could give someone a monster. I do this especially when I'm on the big stack and think I can scare them into folding. I've paid many times for this by finding myself near the bottom of the chips stack instead of on top in just a hand or two.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In conclusion, calling all ins on the bubble or even ITM with a small edge = Bad. And thats assuming you're of equal skill to your opponents. If you're better than they are, it's even worse to gamble it up. If you're much worse, go for it.

-Jman28

[/ QUOTE ]

I have always had a problem with this reasoning. Let me explain why.

Let's take a case where a player will be incorrect to call an all-in bet with anything but AA or KK. His opponent knows this, and will push with any two cards. Therefore it immediately becomes correct for the first player to expand his range of calling hands. So I'm not sure that your opponents are actually making a mistake by calling with KJs, if they know that you know that they shouldn't call with anything but AA/KK. Make sense?
Old 01-27-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

In conclusion, calling all ins on the bubble or even ITM with a small edge = Bad. And thats assuming you're of equal skill to your opponents. If you're better than they are, it's even worse to gamble it up. If you're much worse, go for it.

-Jman28

[/ QUOTE ]

I have always had a problem with this reasoning. Let me explain why.

Let's take a case where a player will be incorrect to call an all-in bet with anything but AA or KK. His opponent knows this, and will push with any two cards. Therefore it immediately becomes correct for the first player to expand his range of calling hands. So I'm not sure that your opponents are actually making a mistake by calling with KJs, if they know that you know that they shouldn't call with anything but AA/KK. Make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it makes sense. However, I'm talking about situations where calling an all in with KJs would be wrong even if they knew I had something like 75s. These situations are rare, but they do happen.

-Jman28

P.S. - What happened to discussing our leaks?
Old 01-27-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This use to be a big leak in my game too, and is still something I am working on. If you notice an aggressive player always pot-betting after being checked to on the flop, use it to your advantage later. In your example, if I am out-of-position with JQ and the aggressive player has limped regularly in late position, I will check to him with the intention of calling. I then check again, and I find a great majority of the time that they check behind. If this is too passive, there is nothing wrong with check/raising here as you will know where you are at in a quicker fashion than check/calling.

[/ QUOTE ]But even manics flop top pair sometimes. Is it a good idea to put your stack in his hands, where you lose big if he's not bluffing, but win small if he is?
Old 01-27-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tend to assume the worst when it comes to putting my opponents on a hand, which I think leads me to play too weak tight sometimes. If anyone has any good advice on this subject I'd love to hear it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Lately every time I've thought this and then talked my self into that I am being weak tight...the guy has had it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2005, 06:23 PM

One of my leaks:

- Overvaluing small aces on the bubble. I believe that pushing with A2-A8 is very often incorrect if your opponent has a "reasonable" range of calling hands. For example, if villain will call with any pair, any ace down to A5, KQ-KT, QJ, QT, then 87s has just as much equity as A2o and is less likely to be a dominated hand.