Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 06:07 PM

Default newbie low-limit question...

So I've begun playing lo-limit on-line. I notice that basically anyone with a decent draw (and sometimes bad draws) or even middle pair will play to the end when I have top pair top kicker. So although I often have the best odds of winning of any individual player, the rest of the tables' chances of improving and beating me are pretty good. My question is, when you look at the board and see alot of flush or draw options, there are lots of callers, and you are sitting there with TPTK, how should you bet?
Old 01-26-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: newbie low-limit question...

[ QUOTE ]
I notice that basically anyone with a decent draw (and sometimes bad draws) or even middle pair will play to the end

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why we love online poker.

[ QUOTE ]
when you look at the board and see alot of flush or draw options, there are lots of callers, and you are sitting there with TPTK, how should you bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are so many factors involved in making that decision that no one will be able to give you the answer you're looking for. I suggest posting a specific hand that made you wonder what exactly you should have done.

Onaflag..........
Old 01-26-2005, 11:23 PM

If the draw hansn't been completed yet, bet, raise, re-raise! remember that OESD's and 4 flushes are still 60+% UNDERDOGS! When the obvious draw completes, than you have a whole new set of challenges. Come on over to the micro forum, and read up!

Nate
Old 01-27-2005, 01:53 AM

In general, when you have TPTK or an overpair to the board, you want to make it expensive for others to draw to their hands if possible. So if it's bet into you, raise; if it's checked to you in late position, bet; if you're in early position and you're fairly certain someone in LP will bet it for you, check-raise.

Even if the board is fairly ragged, you don't really want to slowplay hands like this, since you're still vulnerable to players who flopped middle/bottom pair and might pick up two pair or trips.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:45 AM

If I have TP/TK and I think it's the best hand, the proper course of action of course is to bet the crap out of everyone else because they are on some suck-ass 4:1 or worse draw. If they get there, congratulations to them for beating me on a 4:1 (or worse) outer.

This does not mean those people are not doing the correct thing by calling if they have pot odds. It just means I'm going to bet until I think they have me beat. Generally, the best draw will stick with the TP/TK, and whoever gets the river card wins, and both players were playing correctly the entire time.

This is the simplistic version. To fully answer your question would take a few pages.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:31 AM

you might get a good response out of the small stakes no limit hold'em forum.

but in general in these cases you want to make it incorrect for any draws to play agianst you which means big bets to scare them off. if they call, thats fine because they're making a mistake by doing so. sometimes it won't always work out that way and the "fish always suck out on me" but over the long run you'll crush them.