Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 09:15 PM

Default $50 NL - Empire - Please Evaluate

Here's a hand I had a question about my play on. This is my frist time posting on twoplustwo but have been lurking for a while. Here goes..

0/0 TexasHTGameTable (NL) - Wed Jan 26 17:02:58 EST 2005
Table Pearl's & Oysters (Real Money) -- Seat 7 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 2: MayorMcChz ( $98.3)
Seat 3: bbjohnny1979 ( $49.5)
Seat 4: MNaslund ( $45.7)
Seat 5: brvise ( $26.35)
Seat 6: gvizz ( $39.15)
Seat 7: anwarl ( $59.35)
Seat 8: Odiousdeus ( $31.2)
Seat 9: natEice ( $55.9)
Seat 10: poker_wizkid ( $43.05)
Odiousdeus posts small blind (0.5)
natEice posts big blind (1)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to natEice [ Qc, Qs ]
poker_wizkid folds.
MayorMcChz did not respond in time.
MayorMcChz folds.
bbjohnny1979 raises (3.5) to 3.5
MNaslund folds.
brvise folds.
gvizz folds.
anwarl folds.
Odiousdeus calls (3)
natEice calls (2.5)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 6c, 3c, Jc ]
Odiousdeus checks.
natEice checks.
bbjohnny1979 bets (10)
Odiousdeus calls (10)
natEice folds.
** Dealing Turn ** : [ Qd ]
Odiousdeus checks.
bbjohnny1979 bets (36)
bbjohnny1979 is all-In.
Odiousdeus calls (17.7)
Odiousdeus is all-In.
** Dealing River ** : [ 6d ]
Creating Main Pot with $62.9 with Odiousdeus
Creating Side Pot 1 with $18.3 with bbjohnny1979
** Summary **
Main Pot: $62.9 | Side Pot 1: $18.3 | Rake: $3
Board: [ 6c 3c Jc Qd 6d ]
spookydb balance $50, sits out
MayorMcChz balance $98.3, didn't bet (folded)
bbjohnny1979 balance $18.3, bet $49.5, collected $18.3, lost -$31.2 [ Ad Jh ] [ two pairs, jacks and sixes -- Ad,Jh,Jc,6c,6d ]
MNaslund balance $45.7, didn't bet (folded)
brvise balance $26.35, didn't bet (folded)
gvizz balance $39.15, didn't bet (folded)
anwarl balance $59.35, didn't bet (folded)
Odiousdeus balance $62.9, bet $31.2, collected $62.9, net +$31.7 [ Kc Ac ] [ a flush, ace high -- Ac,Kc,Jc,6c,3c ]
natEice balance $52.4, lost $3.5 (folded)
poker_wizkid balance $43.05, didn't bet (folded)

My question is

a) I know i misplayed pre-flop can someone enlighten me to a alternative route or different play I could have made

b) Was folding on the flop correct? I believe it was as the only way I could have won was for that exact scenario to play out (Q and pair the board)

Any and all comments welcome, thanks much

TPup
Old 01-26-2005, 09:54 PM

Default Re: $50 NL - Empire - Please Evaluate

Betting 10 on the flop is much better than check-calling 10. Check raise all-in is an option too, but only if you know that someone will bet, otherwise bet it. Turn check is ok based on the flop action as long as you expect another bet and are willing to call all-in, which you did.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:11 PM

Well, first and foremost, welcome to the forums. A close second to that is please use the hand converter as you will get much better responses. Third, don't post the results as this makes honest opinions very hard to give. Try posting the PF part and asking questions, then later in the thread posting the flop and asking questions, then post the rest of the hand and ask questions, and wait until after discussion is winding down to post the results as they kill the discussion almost immediately. Considering those things for the future...

To the previous poster, I believe that hero is natEice in the hand, as we get to see his cards. He held QQ and C/F'ed the flop.

I think you have to raise PF with this hand. I'd make it about 10 to go. That changes the whole dynamic of the hand, since you become the aggressor. This does create the problem of having to act as such OOP, which can be difficult, especially with this flop. I would bet about 1.5X pot to kill odds for any draws on this flop and expect to take it down right there most of the time. It is hard to say how the action would have gone on this hand if you had raised PF, though. Odeousdeus (AKs) might have just pushed PF which puts you in a very awkward spot, with a raise, your re-raise, and a push behind you. Damn this is hard to speculate on. Also, you obviously weren't going to get AKs off his hand with the nuts on the flop, so you would again be put in an awkward position. If you see that turn, you are along for the ride, with 10 outs (if even behind) likely good on the river and great odds. I hope some of this made some sense, but since it was all speculation as to how things would have played out, and since I know the results which I hate, it might be a little confusing.

Again, welcome.

- Tot
Old 01-26-2005, 10:20 PM

Please use the hand coverter. It's simple courtesy.
http://www.selachian.com/tools/bison...hconverter.cgi
Old 01-26-2005, 10:25 PM

You're welcome to play in my home game, any day of the week.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:09 AM

That's not that nice. I think your point was that OP was a bit weak/passive on this hand. With that, I agree 100%.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:31 AM

a) I dont mind the call preflop, reraising would certainly be correct also but I like to call here. When you reraise big and the others just call and an A or K comes, you're in a tough spot where you're out of position in a big pot, check-folding seems too weak and leading out with any reasonable bet commits too much of your stack.

b) On the flop I would bet maybe 3/4 pot hoping to take it down there, and fold if reraised. Once you checked, I don't think folding is wrong, especially after there is a caller already. I make most of my money stacking people who can't lay down their big PPs when I hit my set or baby flush, so in turn I'm always careful playing my own overpairs. In this hand you haven't invested that much in the pot, your opponents have shown strength on a scary board, and you may be drawing dead if someone has a bigger club. Folding cannot be too bad here.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:50 AM

Thank you very much for the feedback and welcome to the forums. Also thank you for the link to the converter that I can use from now on for future hands.

I just got in from work so I havent deeply read into the posts yet but did glance over a few and just wanted to thank those that posted advice regarding the hand and 2+2 forum etiquette.

I'll probably post a reply with some follow up questions tomorrow when I can see straight. Thanks

TPupAZ