Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 07:55 PM

Default What is your standard AKs or AKo play when you whiff

I have recently been playing live 3-6 quite a bit and in my last session I was dealt AKs or AKo 4 times and failed to hit the board on all four. Each time I was in EP or in the blinds. Each time I raised preflop and was called in at least 5 spots. As is standard in live 3-6 there is at least one calling station at the table who will see the river at least 80% of the time if he holds any pair. I have been playing this hand aggressively by betting out on the flop when I miss and then firing again on the turn if I did not get a reraise on the flop and I am now against two players or heads up.

My question is this:

In this type of game, would you tend to check raise the flop, check call the flop, or check fold the flop rather than fire at the pot.

Also what is your action on the turn if you miss after any of the above options. (barring a flop fold)

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:02 PM

Default Re: What is your standard AKs or AKo play when you whiff

There are so many variables here that it's hard to give a single answer, but...

For me it depends mostly on the board texture and the players I'm up against.

If I have some draws or the board is raggedy and/or I have passive types behind me, I'll bet.

If the board is scary enough that I don't think even spiking an A or K will help me and/or I know there will likely be few folds and lots of raising behind me, then I tend to check/call or check/fold depending on the action.