Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 06:52 PM

Default Re: General question: AK in the BB vs a lot of limpers?

you are missing some crucial bits of information.
how deep are the stacks.
and what is the flow of the game?
is the game very passive, or very aggressive?
are the stacks really deep?

these kinds of decisions are not cut and dry, however i will say this:
in deep stack play you have to mix it up, AKsuited is much better w/mulitway pots then AKoff.
also if there are a few very aggro players who like to play back at you then there is no need to raise out of position, because position is everything vs. an aggressive player.
however if the table is very passive post-flop and it is very easy to define your opponents holdings based on their actions then go ahead and make a raise.
but your raise should definately be big enough that you won't end up facing three callers.

also keep in mind the player who acts immediately after you, if he is a calling station then your play has a much lower chance of suceeding, because if he calls now you are much more likely to get a chain reaction of callers.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

also keep in mind the player who acts immediately after you, if he is a calling station then your play has a much lower chance of suceeding, because if he calls now you are much more likely to get a chain reaction of callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate when that happens.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:34 PM

So if there's a limper in who's liable to play back at me I should just check and hope for a big hand, or a small pot with an A or K? I like to do that with AKs - although I probably like it even better to raise to 30 or so - but I figure with AKo I can't be much of a money favorite in the hand unless I hit at least two pair. Or am I being too scared here?

And about defining my opponent's hands - by the time I make a big raise, I'd probably define them down to the hands that beat me if I don't hit - and can't be bluffed or they wouldn't be stupid enough to call in the first place, with average stack sizes being around 1000, and will fold if I hit. So.. a smaller raise?