Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Your move and why...

I'm at .25BB NL. Villain in the BB... he's LAG... about a $20 stack. He is up and down like crazy (like from $5 to $45 back down to $15). Bets very aggressively. Has shown down everything from the nuts to middle pair... Goes in quite a bit and almost always overbets. I would say he generally plays semi-decent hands preflop, but will overplay them a lot postflop. Reads are difficult because he shows down good hands as often as crap, and the play is so rarely different.

I'm on the Button with Aces. (A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])
4-5 limps to me. I raise it to $2 (8x BB). The BB (Villain) calls as do 3 other limpers. (I always think... there's no way 4 people should be calling this bet...)

The Flop- 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]-J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]-K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
The Button immediately goes all in (about $18 more) Folds around to me.

Honestly... he could have a complete bluff, any 10 or Q, a set, 1 or 2 pair or the flush draw, a made straight, or pocket 3s... He is likely to go all in with any of above.

The annoying thing is there are so many legitimate hands that could have me beat. So many scary draws against me. And this guy would bet all in on any pair, any draw AND any legitimate hand. And possibly with nothing at all.

Thoughts?
Old 01-26-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Your move and why...

so are there at least as many hands you beat as those that beat you in your mind?

if so, with the money already in the pot, call.

If he has something like 2 pair, you bot a pretty good chance of redraw.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:55 PM

Call and reload, or call and laugh at his J4.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:11 PM

I don't mean to be weak... but with such a draw heavy board (this is a high action flop capable of hitting a lot of people a lot of ways)... and if I hit a third ace, I'm likely to fill a straight...

You don't think there's better hands to make a stand?

if you can't tell, I folded and thought I'd wait for a better opportunity to break the guy. I DID make some off him and he was eventually busted by another player and then left... but this hand has just bothered me. I couldn't decide if I made a smart laydown or just chickened out.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:20 PM

You probably didn't make a bad laydown here. He might have you, but he might not, however, if he consistently overbets, you can wait till you are a prohibitive favorite and take his stack. Might have considered pushing preflop, the doofus probably would have called.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:39 PM

I think this is a very close decision. He could easily have you beaten with QT, KJ, etc. But he could have AJ, KQ, etc as well.

It is close but I am leaning call, mainly because you are closing the action, and theres a fair amount of dead money in the pot to help make up for the times when he has you beaten with 2 pair.

Sly
Old 01-26-2005, 07:34 PM

I call. I think by the way you describe him this is a easy call, you say he could be betting 33, JT, flush draw etc, well then it's a clear call AND you are getting 3:2 on your money so you only have to win 40% of the time.

"I don't mean to be weak... but with such a draw heavy board (this is a high action flop capable of hitting a lot of people a lot of ways)... and if I hit a third ace, I'm likely to fill a straight..."

I don't get this at all, the flop DIDN'T hit alot of people lots of ways they all folded except the BB and you say the BB didn't have to hit the flop hard at all to push in here.
If he had pushed in in the SB and you were in the BB with 4 players left to act behind you I could see your argument.

I don't get what you mean that hitting a 3rd ace would make straights possible, if he had QT he already has a straight and an ace on the turn is not going to help him and if he has a straight draw you don't need to hit your ace you already have the best hand. Actually an ace hitting won't help any straight draws at all.

"You don't think there's better hands to make a stand?"

Sure there probably are better hands to take a stand but that's not important, if you think calling is +ev you call it doesn't matter if you might find a better opportunity later. If you fold here and and make a +ev play later you will still have made less money than if you took both the +ev plays.

The only time I think you should consider not taking a +ev play is in a tournament.
For example letīs say your heads up with him on the end with very deep stacks, now waiting for a better opportunity might be the best move.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:40 PM

I agree with this.

The only time in a cash game you should really pass up a +ev situation is if you are above the max buyin by quite a bit and don't want to risk winning a bigger pot later.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:47 PM

Has villain made these overbets with weak hands into multiway fields before? If so, I call.

If the villain has only made these ridiculous overbets with marginal hands heads up, I fold.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:53 AM

Given his range of hands this seems like a laughably easy call. Flopping two pair aint that easy.