Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 12:58 PM

Default AA multi-way w/ monotone flop ($1/2 blinds, semi-deep stack)

I had this hand come up during live play at the Aladdin $1/2 NL game in Las Vegas. I started with about $225 in my stack, villain in the hand has slightly more than me. The villain calls preflop raises pretty loosely, and never re-raises preflop even with premium hands and multiple opponents. I had not seen her make a raise after the flop in 2-3 hours of play.

In mid position, I am dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. One limper in front of me, I raise to $12. 2 people call behind me including the villain, the BB and the limper call the additional $10. (Villain has position on me for the whole hand.)

Flop ($60 pot): Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
This is a good flop for me, but not the best with 5 opponents. Checked to me and I bet $50. Folded to villain who raises to $100.

In hindsight, my $50 bet be a bit much considering I don't have to protect against the flush draw so I'm either way ahead or I have a lot of outs that I'd like to see cheaply if I am behind. Since I hadn't seen her raise at all previously, I wasn't sure what to make of her raise. I was certain that she had top pair beat. I certainly have immediate pot odds to call the $50 and implied odds if she has the flush or 1 diamond. So the only correct moves here are (a) call the $50 raise or (b) reraise all in (I have about $160 or so left before the $50). Would you reraise here, considering that most hands which a very passive player will raise me here are ahead of mine?
Old 01-26-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Re: AA multi-way w/ monotone flop ($1/2 blinds, semi-deep stack)

EV wise, I think pushing is better move. But bear in mind if she has what you think to be the flush or set, then you have only 7 outs not 9.

next time, perhaps bet a bit less on the flop.

Also, on such a table, consider limp reraising preflop. I don't know how aggressive they all were though so this move might backfire.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:06 PM

You do have outs, but this sort of minraise on a board like this looks like a possible flopped flush or a set. I think, because you do have the outs to the nut flush - calling here is your option. If the turn pairs the board, dump your hand to bet. If you hit the diamond play according to what the villain does. You could be dominated here, so pushing might not be the best option.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:09 PM

if he calls he will have $60 left in a pot of $270 or so.

he needs to see both cards if he is to play this.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:11 PM

Oh, I was mistaken. I thought he'd have 110 left. In the case you'd have 60 - A push is your move here. I apologize.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:13 PM

The raise was to $100, so it was $50 to me, and $210 in the pot already. So I felt I even had odds just to see the next card and make a decision from there. Then I'd have about 110 left after seeing the turn card. Sorry if I didn't make the raise amount clear in the first post.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:14 PM

Ok... so does that mean, I was right to think you'd have 110 if you called the 50 reraise? In that case, I go with the call there.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:28 PM

I think all-in is your only play here. You don't want him to slow down if a 4th D falls.

Whatever he has you have outs, though they might be few if he has JT ot 76 diamonds.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:54 PM

I'd go ahead and push.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:51 PM

OK, so most seem to favor pushing here. One thing to consider is that if I'm ahead, I'm likely way, way ahead - worse hands like AQ (even though I'm putting her on something better than that) will fold and get away easy. Any better hands will call. If I'm behind, it doesn't matter if I get the money in here or on the turn or river, I'm going to be a dog in the hand on any street barring improvement. So if I'm deciding that my money is going in, isn't it better to call and give her the chance to put hers in first on the turn?