Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which do you use?
GameTimePlus 27 34.18%
PlayerView 21 26.58%
Neither (yet!) 31 39.24%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2005, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Would you tell someone about 2+2?

[ QUOTE ]
I was anticipating this argument. Yes I do. Theres a big difference between people that are here already, and those that are blissfully unaware that there is actually more to the game than they might have first thought."

[/ QUOTE ]

someone who was unaware that there is more to this game would not be asking for serious poker advice...
Old 01-21-2005, 10:08 PM

Default Re: The first rule of fight club...

I think anymore alot of the pokerpros are going to be making more money off of thier books than their game, speaking of the rise in poker's popularity... seeing phill hellmuth on QVC kinda gave me that theory....
Old 01-21-2005, 11:33 PM

I think the question of sharing information os definitely two fold. For instance if you were struggling with one of the leaks in your game, say, bluffing in certain situations,and one of your friends happens to better at it then you are. You lead them to the twoplustwo site, or any other informative site for that matter. In that respect, they take some information, and go over it with you and effectively fix that leak in your game, as well as improving theirs. Was it worth it?

The fact still remains, the game requires many facets, and every piece of information could potentially help us improve our +EV play. The question remains, are you willing to reciprocate that. Even if they improve, are they willing to apply the many hours of time and dedication to keep it this up?
Old 01-23-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Has the poll effected your original decision?

Do you feel that because the results seem to lean heavily towards no they wouldnt tell anyone about twoplustwo.com or the books, that at one point you may have been willing to tell someone, but now choose not to because of popular voting? i on the other hand am still indecisive, but feel that its kind of a duty to twoplustwoers who don't want others to know, to assist them in keeping their secrets? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-25-2005, 05:32 PM

After playing for many years in friendly games I thought would try online poker. The problem was that I have always been an unlucky player. At least that is what I told myself. Before I started online I decided that I might want to do some reading and get a bit better. I searched online and found 2+2 and the books they had for sale. After doing some serious reading and playing a lot of hands I am now one of those lucky players.

My point is this. I didn't need anyone to tell me what to do to become a better player. I took it upon myself to get that information. With the internet if anyone is interested in getting better it will only take a short time to get to many sites that can help you. If you aren't willing to make any effort yourself why should I be bothered to do it for you. That said, I don't think saying anything at a table will make much difference. Since it is so easy to get to sites like this, if someone hasn't already done it than telling them about it is not going to make any difference. They don't have the time or inclination to bother getting better.

This also leaves another question regarding this same issue. The owners of this site make money from advertising. More people hitting the site and using the links makes them money. Is it fair to them not to help them. I first thought about this in regards to PokerTracker. The guys there have helped make my work at the tables easier. I always hear everyone on that site berating others for telling them about the site. Since their product has helped our game shouldn't we be telling others about it. If I bought any other product that helped me make money I would't have any issue with telling others. Sort of a doble edged sword. Helping the guys who own a product actually might cost you money in the long run.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:56 PM

I have no problem directing my friends and a few guys from my regular home game to 2+2.

I never tell strangers abotu 2+2. Just feel like it's something people should find on the their own or by actively looking for help with their game.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:16 PM

Let me understand. There are people here that are against sharing information to poker players about a website (and resources) devoted to sharing information to poker players????
Old 01-26-2005, 08:06 AM

Excellent point Faust, cant we all look back and remember when we yearned for reputable advice, proven advice? How many books did we have to read before we understood the overlapping suggestions to know which was what. If I see any poker player who is enthusiastic enough to ask me about his game or refer a material, I am doing myself a disservice to hide anything. For just as I hold anything back I may never receive it again. To all knowledge mongors affraid to share their wisdom, big business,tobacco,insurance co.,lawyers, etc. You slow our society down from evolving into something better. Sorry for the rant but knowledge to help anyone succeed in any endeavor gets me pumped. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2005, 09:22 AM

I used to play regularly with a guy on party who lost his life savings. Me and another guy from 2+2 were chatting about it. We decided we liked the guy, and would rather see him stop playing. I sent him some private messages and told him he needed to stop playing, or read 7 card stud for advanced players. I haven't seen him on party poker in about a month, and I'm happy about that. There are plenty of fish on party, and this guy had taken enough of a beating.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:15 PM

I've never really understood the dividing point. Most 2+2ers are violently anti sharing information with the fish out there, which I suppose makes good sense.
But what's the difference between that and refusing to help or giving bad advice on the forums? I mean, it seems that both would accomplish the same goal, right? Protecting your edge and not educating the competition. Yet, people give consistently good advice to anyone who wanders in. It doesn't make sense to me. Either you want to protect your edge over the outsiders or you don't. How should a search engine be the great test of your worthiness?