Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 05:51 AM

Default AT with 3 tables left

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t12000 (8 handed) converter

BB (t134744)
Hero (t139490)
UTG+1 (t249366)
MP1 (t90298)
MP2 (t351528)
CO (t177114)
Button (t194120)
SB (t203897)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t36000</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t36000, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

<font color="green"> the more i think about this i shouldn't be playing AT right now. i desperately don't want callers/raisers. the table had been tight and folding to most raises but is it really adviseable to attempt a steal UTG at this stage? is so may as well steal with junk, not AT. </font>

Flop: (t76200) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks.

<font color="green"> probably about one of the best flops i could have seen. only scared of a higher ace. we'll see what he thinks</font>

Turn: (t76200) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t25000</font>, MP2 calls t25000.
<font color="green"> i think that queen was good. he most likely would have re-raised AK. i just don't feel he has AQ. especially after he flat calls behind. so we're at least looking at a split pot here.</font>

River: (t126200) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t25000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t289928</font>, Hero calls t52890 (All-In).

<font color="green">
if anyone, that T helped me. i'd already decided on the turn i was pushing on the river. i contemplate whether he'll call an all-in and decide he probably wouldn't. so i lead out with 25,000 hoping he'll try to bluff back, or at least call. he comes over the top, and i can't be more happy to see it.</font>

what do you think about this?
Final Pot: t494018
Old 01-26-2005, 07:37 AM

Default Re: AT with 3 tables left

Why didnīt you bet the flop?
Particularly When you only have a T kicker. I would have bet and taken down the pot, and if he called I would know that iīm probably behind.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:42 AM

my figuring was that i was probably behind. i was gonna see what he did and then decide what to do. i think i would have laid it down to a bet and write it off as a missed steal. when he checked behind I figured him to have some sort of pocket pair, a weaker ace, or maybe even KQ. his check behind almost confirmed to me that i had the better hand, and i didn't have to spend anything to find it out.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:53 AM

My guess is he flipped over either A Q for a higher 2 pair or pocket 10's for a rivered set.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why didn't you bet the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
my figuring was that i was probably behind. i was gonna see what he did and then decide what to do. i think i would have laid it down to a bet and write it off as a missed steal. when he checked behind I figured him to have some sort of pocket pair, a weaker ace, or maybe even KQ. his check behind almost confirmed to me that i had the better hand, and i didn't have to spend anything to find it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, I agree that you should not be playing ATo UTG here. Strange hand, but very interesting.

Whether you are behind has nothing to do with betting the flop. His cold call on the raise says he's got a good but vulnerable hand, that may or may not contain an ace. With your stack and the size of the pot, you cannot be screwing around. A strong bet may fold out AQ an AJ.

Unless this is some elaborate ruse to get him to bluff the river, I think your turn bet is way too small. What is your goal here? Top pair with ten-kicker, you don't want to be called. What do you do here if he comes over the top?

If you're willing to go to felt here, I like the river bet. I hope he was sitting on AK.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
His cold call on the raise says he's got a good but vulnerable hand, that may or may not contain an ace

[/ QUOTE ]

True, like a mid-pair? My thoughts are that AT isnīt that good that you can afford to give away a free card at this hand.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:49 AM

Postflop, it's just one line of many you could have chosen.

FOLD PREFLOP. You're approaching, but not actually IN, crunchtime for your stack.

This is not your spot.

I'd say the way the hand played out is a great example of why you might want to fold this preflop.

I don't know the result, but I suspect it was not a happy one.