Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 10:08 AM

Default I just lost another buy-in to a flopped flush

Come on , I need answers. You guys ignored my last post about this. Obviously, the chances of two people flopping a flush are a lot greater. I flopped a ten high flush and it was no good. I lost to a king high one. No other hearts hit. I obviously if you flop a ten high flush. Don't go all-in on the river even if no 4th heart hits.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:09 AM

Default Re: I just lost another buy-in to a flopped flush

Dont play any 2 suited.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:12 AM

Yeah I know. I shouldn't have played it but aren't the odds 2.5 % that someone else has also flopped a flush ? No one disputed my stat ? Are there any smart people on here ?
Old 01-26-2005, 10:21 AM

but aren't the odds 2.5 % that someone else has also flopped a flush ? No one disputed my stat ?

I did the odds on this once...I think it's something like 3%, but it's 3% per player in the hand, not just 3% that someone else has another flush. I'm not gonna redo the math specifically right now...it's not exactly right, but that's a good guideline.

If you weren't heads up in the pot, you've gotta realize that the odds there's another flush against you are much better. Plus the odds that someone's on a bigger flush draw that may not be able to give it up. The odds you'll lose the pot start becoming cumulative, not just doubling and tripling, which means committing all your money is a much more risky proposal.

I wouldn't feel too bad about it. It's gonna happen. I don't know what you're playing though...someone said stop playing any two suited. If that's what you're doing, you're gonna get beat an AWFUL lot to this sort of situation.

Also remember that a flopped flush is a very scary board to anyone that doesn't have a flush with you. You have almost reverse implied odds with something like a T high flush. Very few people will play the pot with you unless you give them a good drawing price, or unless they already have you beat.

When I have a hand like T9s, I don't make money by flopping flushes. I try to keep those pots small cause they're scary for other players and I don't want to commit a lot of money if they hit a four flush and don't want to be betting heavily into a bigger flush. I make money when I flop a flush draw and people don't bet big enough to get me off it.

- Chris
Old 01-26-2005, 10:26 AM

I played it because I was bored. I went on tilt earlier in the night when I made a bad play. All in all, tonight I lost $150 so far. $100 of it was pure profit that I had made earlier in the day. The last $50 of it was to that flush and that was from yesterday's money. Still it is my money and I earned it at one point in time.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:27 AM

Yeah I know. I shouldn't have played it

Read this again. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

You are getting yourself into situations where you are getting busted bc YOUR ARE PLAYING BAD HANDS.

Oh and plz post what the hand was and how it all went down. I mean if you slow played a 10 hi flush then paid off someone when another suited card fell....well...If I was you Id stick to limit. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Or perhaps slots. Im not even being mean here but NLH takes alot of discipline.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:32 AM

wheres the bad beat police
Old 01-26-2005, 10:33 AM

I can never hold on to money when it comes to poker. I win then I think I will go on winning. When I double up, I just lose it all back. I need to make a rule to leave whenever I double up. I think its gotten to be something psychological.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:36 AM

I think every one of you was born a good poker player weren't you ?

Well, I'll tell you what. Right now. I have absolutely nothing else going for me. Nothing. I can't do anything but poker so if you think you are going to scare me off and I'll go back to my $40,000 / year job. It's not going to happen because I don't have a 40K / year job and never have.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think every one of you was born a good poker player weren't you ?

Well, I'll tell you what. Right now. I have absolutely nothing else going for me. Nothing. I can't do anything but poker so if you think you are going to scare me off and I'll go back to my $40,000 / year job. It's not going to happen because I don't have a 40K / year job and never have.

[/ QUOTE ]

im sorry dude but you don't have poker going for you. get a job and save all you can, then get some sort of education and get a better job. poker is a waste of your time and energy.

i say this not because i think you're not mentally capable of making decent money long term playing poker (i really can't say), i say it because you're clearly not psychologically capable. you have a losing attitude and you refuse to allow 2+2 to provide you with a "way of thinking about the game" that will give you the biggest edge you can have (or any edge at all).

the people at 2+2 can teach you how to play profitably but they can't teach you how to learn to play profitably. you have to be able to use what's given to you, and you just aren't.