Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 02:02 AM

Default Drawing to a Straight

I always seem to have a hard time with suited connectors when drawing to a straight. This was a loose table, so I was sure I'd get callers but wasn't pleased with the raise. I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be playing this so early, but I hadn't seen a playable hand in quite a while.

How's my line here? How would you do it differently?

BB over 20 hands had a <15 %VPIP. What do you put BB on?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, Hero calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, Button folds.

So far, so good: I flop an OESD. I want people to overcall, so I just call. Do you CR for a free card on the turn?

Turn: (5.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Okay, the 3 pairs. My pot odds here are 6:1, so I figure that's good enough. Should I just dump this now? BB is pretty tight.

River: (8.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

Yay, I hit it. And, it's a raise fest. He raised pre-flop, so he might have an over pair.

Final Pot: 16.75 BB

I'm not so concerned with hitting my straight as whether once I'm in the hand (it was a loose call, after all) if calling the flop and the turn was appropriate here. Should I play it more aggressively? Would you be concerned with the river 3-bet?

I'll post results after a bit.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:07 AM

Default Re: Drawing to a Straight

I don't cap the river, I might raise the flop if it can get me a free card.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:13 AM

This preflop call is way too loose in MP2. Save this hand for the button. I wouldn't cap the river. Otherwise, nice hand.

Rob
Old 01-27-2005, 03:19 AM

Default Results

The BB turned over QQ to complete the full house.

Of course, this made me question whether I should have raised on an earlier street to determine whether to continue or not. I'd still probably assume a made straight is still good. How does your play change once the board pairs like it did on the turn, given the action, and you're drawing to a straight or a flush?
Old 01-27-2005, 03:25 AM

Default Re: Results

Fold pre-flop. Capping the river is fine. If he has QQ (basically the only hand that beats you worthy of a raise pre-flop) then so be it.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, the 3 pairs. My pot odds here are 6:1, so I figure that's good enough. Should I just dump this now? BB is pretty tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generic odds of making an OESD (8 outs) with one to come are 4.8 to 1, although that is somewhat mitigated here because 2 of those outs would also complete a flush draw. Even 6 outs is still 6.7 to 1 and you can almost certainly extract another bet on the river if you make a safe straight, so I think the call is correct.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not so concerned with hitting my straight as whether once I'm in the hand (it was a loose call, after all) if calling the flop and the turn was appropriate here. Should I play it more aggressively? Would you be concerned with the river 3-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Capping it on the river was a bit much I think, but my comments might be slanted by the fact that I know he had the FH (why you don't post results). The facts that villian was sub-15% and raised pre-flop would be probably enough to convince me to slow down. I dunno; this is a tough one because these situations often scream 'raise' even with a scary board.