Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2005, 11:51 PM

Default Mucked straight on river

So...in how many ways did I f* this up?

Button is a maniac (78% VPIP/9% PFR over 100 hands). I have no read on the other guy...he just sat down at the table.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Dumba$$ is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, Dumba$$ completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Dumba$$ checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Button calls, Dumba$$ calls, BB folds.

Turn: (3.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Dumba$$ checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Dumba$$ calls, MP3 calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Dumba$$ checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Dumba$$ folds, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB
Old 01-26-2005, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Mucked straight on river

I put MP3 on a Q. Screw the LAG and call down the river. It's only one bet, and he may be betting his A? Who knows with a LAG.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:30 AM

A straight is pretty good on this board. Someone may have the flush, but I'd probably call it given how loose button is (who knows what he could be on, a pair or set would give you as much action from a maniac)... Since he didn't raise PF, it's probably not QQ (for the set) so it might be a pocket pair of 8's or 5's as well as the flush draw.

Call on the river; 5-1 odds against a maniac seems pretty good to me... You're not seeing much aggression till the river, and he might be crafty enough to bluff making his flush. Or you might pay him 2 more BB's... That's poker [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2005, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's only one bet, and he may be betting his A? Who knows with a LAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it's two bets to him at the river because the maniac's raise over MP3, but agreed that he's likely betting an ace.

I'd probably hang in there since you do have the best straight and the likelyhood of a flush is lessened since the maniac spoke up at the turn when the ace hit. Unless he's value betting his flush draw (in which case I'd have expected him to likely raise the flop if he's thinking that way), he's likely either representing or hit an ace.

That said, you were facing 2 big bets for a smallish pot with a decent likelyhood of MP3 reraising so I can see where you could get scared off at that point.

Were you mainly concerned about the flush possibility or facing 2 bets in a smallish pot? Would you have stayed in if the pot was say 12BB or more?
Old 01-26-2005, 10:21 AM

My take: It looks like MP3 might have a flush, but the button probably has two pair at the most (maybe even just top pair). I can see why you folded, but I personally would have called this.
-web