Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2005, 09:38 PM

Default Moving up levels

I currently started playing for money on Paradise Poker. Since I am new to poker, I am following the advice of many before me and starting at the lowest limit games and moving my way up the stakes.

So my question.

According to Hilger's book ITH, he says you should play about 100 hours at a level before moving up to the next level (except at 5/10 where you should play about 225 hours or so...). His logic is that a good player should be earning about 1BB per hour. At the rate he suggests you will obtain the experience/bankroll necessary for the next limit.

I am currently playing at the .02/.04 tables (I know, this is ridiculous, the people practically give you their money). Anyways... I've made 100BB and I only played at the limit for about 5 hours. Should I move up since this is such an easy limit?
Old 01-25-2005, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Moving up levels

you prob want at least 250BB of the level you are moving up to before going there

and be willing to drop down if things go really bad
Old 01-25-2005, 10:36 PM

I just referenced this my own way here

Aloha,

Nate
Old 01-25-2005, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I currently started playing for money on Paradise Poker. Since I am new to poker, I am following the advice of many before me and starting at the lowest limit games and moving my way up the stakes.

I am currently playing at the .02/.04 tables (I know, this is ridiculous, the people practically give you their money). Anyways... I've made 100BB and I only played at the limit for about 5 hours. Should I move up since this is such an easy limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just sit tight for a while. Give yourself plenty of time to get used to the game. It could be that you're a quick learner or you could be very lucky right now. It's far too early to tell.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:45 PM

AGREED! Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:55 PM

Nate - what levels are you currently playing at? Are you still moving up the ranks slowly? I have a similar story in that I started playing at .50/1.00 and lost a chunk. Realized I wasn't ready and started over.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:12 PM

I'm still at .02/.04. I have 6500 hands and 626 BB ($25.02). I want to get to 300 BB for .05/.10 so I need another 5 bucks or so (assuming I don't take a big dump tonite!). I've been thinking about playing out the 10K hands before making the move as well, as I'd like for some of the more experienced posters to take a look at my stats before moving up, and most of them won't look at anything under 10K hands. I'm not really in a hurry, as I'd rather get the bugs ironed out for this level before working on a different set of bugs at a different level. I play at Stars, and I find the software to be great and it is supported by pokertracker, so I'll probably be there through .05/.10. The next level after that is .25/.50 which is a big jump bankroll wise. I might switch over at that point to prima or something else with a .10/.20 or .10/.25 level.

Let me know how it goes for you as I'm in the same boat.

Nate

BTW I just started multi-tabling. I don't know if you do it already or not, but it's probably better to get used to it at this level than higher as it always seems like you are in 2 hands at the same time, at tables with completely different textures.

Aloha
Old 01-25-2005, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm still at .02/.04. I have 6500 hands and 626 BB ($25.02). I want to get to 300 BB for .05/.10 so I need another 5 bucks or so (assuming I don't take a big dump tonite!). I've been thinking about playing out the 10K hands before making the move as well, as I'd like for some of the more experienced posters to take a look at my stats before moving up, and most of them won't look at anything under 10K hands. I'm not really in a hurry, as I'd rather get the bugs ironed out for this level before working on a different set of bugs at a different level. I play at Stars, and I find the software to be great and it is supported by pokertracker, so I'll probably be there through .05/.10. The next level after that is .25/.50 which is a big jump bankroll wise. I might switch over at that point to prima or something else with a .10/.20 or .10/.25 level.

Let me know how it goes for you as I'm in the same boat.

Nate

BTW I just started multi-tabling. I don't know if you do it already or not, but it's probably better to get used to it at this level than higher as it always seems like you are in 2 hands at the same time, at tables with completely different textures.

Aloha

[/ QUOTE ]

From my experience, Stars .25/.50 is a great limit to spend a lot of time at. I would recommend moving up to that limit as soon as you have the bankroll. That is where I really ironed out my game (I lost some at party .5/1 before moving there) and also learned to 4-table effectively. The quality of Stars .25/.50 is about the same as Party .50/1 but Stars is much more weak/passive. Once you are winning consistently (atleast 3-4bb/100 I would say) move right over to Party .5/1. Then you'll be taking the path of so many posters here, aspiring for Party 3/6. Good luck.