Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Bluff on the river?

Setting: Home game, 6 handed, all stack are about $50
Blinds .25/.5
Hero is BB with Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, button folds, very loose SB raises to 3.00, hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, CO calls
flop($12.50) A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, hero checks, UTG checks, CO bets $4, SB calls, hero calls, UTG folds
turn($24) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB checks, hero checks, CO checks.
River($24) 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB checks hero ??

I am positive that the sb can not call any bet so I only need to worry about the CO. She is usually a tight player and is mostly straight forward. Her check on the turn screams of weakness to me so I figured a bluff was in order. I bet out for $12. Do you think this was the right play?
Results:
<font color="white">
CO calls and shows A5 for a pair of aces </font>

Falker
Old 01-25-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Bluff on the river?

And your check-call on the flop screams "I'm drawing". If you had raised the flop and bet the turn I would fire a 3rd if I smelled weakness.

Also, a half-pot bet seems pretty weak too. Make it 3/4 to a full and put her to the test.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:39 PM

What hand are you trying to represent by bluffing on the river? You check called the flop and checked the turn.....
Old 01-25-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
very loose SB raises to 3.00

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not "very loose"... he only plays the bottom 20% of hands. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: OK, some content -- this player you're talking about (villain, not SB) is more prone than most to call down with a weak hand when she thinks (suspects?) you might be weak yourself. The action doesn't suggest that you have a strong hand, as previous posters pointed out -- and, in a metagame sort of way, I think she's more likely to call you here than if it were some random player. I'm sure she's figured out by playing with you that you might fire a barrel here with a hand that her pair of aces beats.

Just value bet her on the river next time, when you have AK. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-DB